Waters close to you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waters close to you

I think we all have the distant waters are better than the waters close to us syndrome...the grass is always greener on the other side of...so this year I have begun the close to home, learn the waters phase...One reason some folks fish a lot and seem to catch a lot has to do with where they live...folks that live on the water or next door to the water always seem to have the edge...it takes them 15 minutes to walk out the door and launch their kayaks...while it takes others hours of driving...I live about mid-way from the Bay Bridge to Point Lookout-about 50 miles to each place...close is relative...the close waters are the Harry Nice Bridge (17 miles) Mattawoman Creek (14 miles) and Patuxent River, Benedict (17 miles)...so it is at least a 30 minute drive to get anywhere wet...oh, forgot Wheatley Lake is 7 miles away...St. Mary's County is where I have mostly fished the last few years...learned a few spots that have caught some fish...but have I driven past "honey holes" to get to familiar haunts? I plan the next few trips to answer that question...so how do you "prospect" new waters you have never fished before? I use Google Earth...After looking at NOAA topo maps, I pull up Google Earth and zoom in on the area from space...I look at the features and map out a search pattern in my head of how I will launch and fish the area...I look at points, flats and channels memorizing these features for when I am there...once on the water I put the plan into execute mode...I use search baits and fan cast an area before moving...and I remember what phase the tide is in...I rarely fish still water...I swap out rods and lures until I hit on a working combination- then I pound it...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-04-2017, 08:34 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Good topic Ron.

I do not do the extensive legwork you described but I will look on-line for fishing reports from various websites. They can be current reports or past reports if seasonally relevant.

Bass Pro has current hatch info for various rivers.

Channel markers in tidal waters indicate of a change in depth. I noticed long before I got my fish finder that I would catch fish near them. The fish finder told me why.

After the above, I use what I see at the new site that I know works from my experience in other locations -- structure and current.

Also, I'd like to add that we can get into a routine in our familiar waters and turn off our "search mode". By that I mean we can rely too much on the areas where we have been successful in the past while ignoring the possibilities of other sites in our immediate area. I avoided that trap on my last outing to the Severn. In all my visits there I had never fished this shoreline on the eastern side of the river:

C.jpg

My results were textbook successful. As you look at it you can see why...shade, structure, high water lapping into the vegetation.

I'm going to try to stumble across these sites more often in the future. To do so I'll gauge the wind, tide and the position of the sun to determine which new spot in a familiar area to visit next.
    Last edited by Mark; 08-04-2017, 09:10 AM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I'm one of the lucky ones I suppose and my home waters are between Stoney Creek and Ft Smallwood, a mere stroll across the street to a protected private beach. In fact there are several kayak launching beaches in my neighborhood that make targeting certain areas even faster. This has been part of my "research " this year is finding these other launches, so I can hit everything from Ft Armistead to Hickory Pt and get to where I want with minimal effort. I've got a great spot to target the power plant from, but I've yet to try it. Maybe this winter...

While I agree that I can almost always find fish in this area, a lot of the time it is something I'm not interested in. Like many areas of the bay this one is best in the fall when the schoolies are fat and long. I've caught hundreds of stripers between 16-25" and many more dinks. White rocks is always worth a troll by, or drop a worm in the summer. I've caught fat perch, catfish, stripers, and an occasional blue from there almost every trip out. But there are other locations even better that migrate around through the seasons. Riviera Beach also has a huge community access along the entire shoreline of the neighborhood they call Riverwalk. I've walked the shoreline many nights in the fall with a topwater plug pulling in fish after fish.

I travel to find the species I want at a specific time of year. Sure I can catch plenty of perch right now in Rock Creek, but I'd rather go tangle with a snakehead in the Potomac or wrestle a sheepshead from the ghost ships at Kiptopeke. I may not always be successful in my quest, but when I am it's especially satisfying.
      2015 Hobie Outback
      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I have also found that just googling the area will give you allot of basic information of a new area. By reading reports and other articles about an area won't directly put you on fish, after all even a report posted hours before you go may not hold fish or will be crowded with boats.

The trick is to look for common things through out the different reports. For example if I see allot of reports mentioning catching fish on channel edges I will know that's a good starting point. Or at least get some insight to strategies that have worked previously.

I use the GPS plotter as well to look for interesting contours or features as well.
        Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Waters close to you

Good point, this year I've spent most of fishing locally(Martinsburg, WV). I have my honey holes on the Upper Potomac & Shenandoah River for good sized Smallmouth Bass & Walleye. Largemouth Bass & Crappie spots, north of Martinsburg at Sleepy Creek Lake. I've used local lure/pattern techniques on eastern shore ponds, and have had success catching other different species such as snakeheads, chain pickerel, & blue catfish as well. I love traveling to eastern shore for fishing as there is a variety of fishing options and I used to live in Cambridge, MD.

One area I've always found hard to fish was at Little Seneca Lake, I've utilized several different lures in different colors for those trophy bass, no luck. I believe it's more of the water structure and the clear water that I'm not used to fishing in that makes it difficult. Slow & steady I'm learning the locations where the Crappie are located, those lunker sunfish/bluegill, large carp, and few largemouth bass locations. It's a big body of water to cover, but eventually I'll find those trophy bass.

Also, one thing I love about Martinsburg, WV than most locations I travel to is the vast amounts of locations to fish for trout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

While not near as experienced as most on this forum, I agree with Ron, "the grass is always greener" mentality is tride and true. That being said, its also nice to fish "other" waters, especially with someone who's local and knows the territory. Headed down to St. Marys with the SMOG crew, i'm always appreciative of the tips and tricks. The more you learn outside your home waters, the better overall fisherman you become.
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I lived in Florida for many years where I owned a power boat and fished many days offshore. When I moved to NoVA I brought the boat along and used it exclusively for a few years in the Chesapeake Bay and the Potomac River – in fact I was fortunate to have the boat parked at a marina on the river a mere 10-minute drive from my house.

I loved that boat, but I sold it last year because I came to the realization of a few things:

1. I hated paying storage fees, performing endless maintenance tasks (on the boat, motor, and trailer), and paying for gas
              2. I hated being restricted where I could launch from
              3. My wife is a fair-weather boater and would rather do “girl” things than come out for a fishing trip or a cruise (especially if any chop was involved)
              4. I was bored fishing miles off shore well out of sight of land with nothing to see but a desert of empty blue water; beautiful the first few times, but it got old after a while.
              5. I really enjoyed kayak fishing

Kayak fishing addressed four of my five issues (I’m still working on convincing the wife she needs a kayak of her own - wish me luck).

I’ve mentioned this before, but I believe the kayak fisherman/woman has an innate desire to explore, to discover, to be a gypsy, to try new things and to be a vagabond. Kayaks afford us a portable fishing platform that can be launched anywhere, require minimal maintenance, doesn’t require gasoline, and keeps one entertained not only in the act of fishing but as a front-row witness to some beautiful scenery and wildlife found along our shorelines.

Ron’s desire to explore new/old haunts and John’s ability to put in outside his back door or pick up and drive dozens of miles down the road for the thrill of a particular fish are perfect examples of what attracted me to this hobby.

Good luck to you both in your pursuit. Tight Lines!
              Last edited by baitball; 08-04-2017, 01:16 PM.
              -manny

Hobie Outback
              Wilderness Systems 130T
              Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post
                I’ve mentioned this before, but I believe the kayak fisherman/woman has an innate desire to explore, to discover, to be a gypsy, to try new things and to be a vagabond. Kayaks afford us a portable fishing platform that can be launched anywhere, require minimal maintenance, doesn’t require gasoline, and keeps one entertained not only in the act of fishing but as a front-row witness to some beautiful scenery and wildlife found along our shorelines.
                Well said
                2015 Hobie Outback
                2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

My home waters are the Delaware River near Wilmington, I don't see too many people fishing there, occasionally someone fishing for catfish from shore. I grew up along the Chesapeake Bay and prefer to fish there, even though it's a 1 1/2 hour drive. There are a few ponds that people fish, but I've always fished salt water and have no interest in fresh water fishing.
                  Mark Harrison

Hobie Outback - Yellow

Comment

Working...
                  X