Blue Sky Boatworks 360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Sky Boatworks 360

Surfing YouTube, I came across this new catamaran-style (kayak?)

The design seems pretty stable for a lake, pond, river -- I wonder how it will handle in some light chop?

https://youtu.be/u68FotzU3Kk
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T
    Hobie Outfitter

Pretty cool. I too am curious about stability in chop....
    Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

That's certainly a well designed fishing platform.

I'll say again, however, that a Jon boat can be a less expensive and proven alternative in many of the areas where the Blue Sky would work. Also, you can carry two anglers...and a dog!

But there are indeed some I impressive design features on that boat.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

You make a strong point Mark. If someone were considering this platform, but had to rely on a trailer to get it to the water, then why not just get a jon boat? It's certainly cheaper and can carry more stuff.

One trade off, I guess, would be the "exercise" benefit. With the pedal drive system you have a desirable quality not resident in the hull of a jon boat.

I also think Jackson may be targeting the stand-up, sight-casting crowd that traditionally chases red drum and specs in the South. Unless you put a gas engine on this platform, the Blue Sky 360 design should be more stable and have less "hull slap" than a traditional mono-hull jon boat.

Either way, I'm glad to see all the innovative ideas coming to our hobby..
        ...variety is the spice of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        -manny

Hobie Outback
        Wilderness Systems 130T
        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I like the design. I don't really enjoy fishing from anything bigger than a kayak. I've been toying with the idea of getting a solo skiff primarily for the motor. But I'd miss the peddles (I'm a hobie guy) for in-close fishing. In other words, motor to get me there, peddles to fish with. Mounting a motor on a PA can be done but isn't optimal.
          I think it would be stable in chop, but not sure how dry it would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
          Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
          Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

Jon boats sink this one won't. Jon boats draft more water. Jon boats won't handle rough water well.

Jon boats serve there purpose well and yaks are not the cheap alternative to a yak. I have a Jon boat and had them for over 40 years

I think I may want one of these cats

Comment

Working...
            X