Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of lure to use in the summer, in shallow water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark View Post
    Last spring John Veil, John Rentch and I visited a well-known lure maker in FL. They were kind enough to give us a tour of their factory. All their hard plastics had trebles. We suggested that they would have a market for lures with in-line single hooks. They said their research and their customers, many of whom are professional bass fisherman, indicated otherwise.
    Many people erroneously associate a treble hook as increasing the chances of hooking more fish. Lure makers want to make sure their product gains a reputation for catching fish. Good reputation = more $ales.
    As such, they are reluctant to provide lures with single hooks and risk the perception of an inferior product (vis-à-vis a lure with trebles).
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T
    Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
      1/4 oz Spro Bucktail; with a 4 inch zman???
      Question from the inexperienced. Are you using the bucktail like as a pseudo-jighead, or are you just hooking the zman through the nose?
      "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
      Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
        Question from the inexperienced. Are you using the bucktail like as a pseudo-jighead, or are you just hooking the zman through the nose?
        Put the hook tip, through the nose, bring the hokk down inside the zman. Then exit the bottom so that the nose of the zman touches the bottom of the jig head.

Best Regards,
        Stan
        Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Put the hook tip, through the nose, bring the hokk down inside the zman. Then exit the bottom so that the nose of the zman touches the bottom of the jig head.

Best Regards,
          Stan
          Stan introduces another area of multiple options - specifically, on which side of the paddletail should the hook come out. He says that he brings the hook point out on the bottom side of the lure (presumably the side with the rounded belly). My practice for years has been to bring the hook point out on the top or flat side of a paddletail. That way the trolled or casted lure is swimming with the belly side down (like a natural baitfish).

I don't know if one way works better than the other. I can tell you that often after catching a few fish, the entry hole at the nose of the plastic gets torn a bit so the plastic does not stay on the hook. If the tear is not too large, I remove the plastic and reinsert the hook so the point comes out the bottom -- I usually catch a few more fish that way. At least in the murky waters in which we usually fish in the mid-Chesapeake, the difference in profile is probably not a big deal.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Years ago Chesapeake anglers added pork rind to their bucktails. Perhaps some still do. But I suspect with the proliferation of soft plastics, that practice has lessened.

Sometimes I add soft plastics to my bucktails to enhance the attraction of the lure even though I have caught stripers with "undressed" bucktails.

nhunter asked Stan how he rigs his paddletail to his bucktails. Stan described the way I do it -- to use nhunter's words, I rig it as a "pseudo jighead".
            '
            However, as the photo below shows, I will use a longer soft plastic if I think the stripers are looking for longer/larger baits.

IMG_0290.jpg

Both are 1/2 oz. bucktails. The upper jig is one I would typically use in the spring when larger fish are chasing larger bait. The lower bucktail is one I would use at this time of year.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

searching local shops, i've found that paddle-tails only availability is in 4" and 6" length, I figure 5" was the sweet spot overall length for an "all around" year-long soft-bait, but finding this size is near impossible. any rhyme or reason for this?

i know - there's no "one lure" for every situation, but i'm trying to pair down my gear and not bring the kitchen sink, and came across this issue.
              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                searching local shops, i've found that paddle-tails only availability is in 4" and 6" length, I figure 5" was the sweet spot overall length for an "all around" year-long soft-bait, but finding this size is near impossible. any rhyme or reason for this?

i know - there's no "one lure" for every situation, but i'm trying to pair down my gear and not bring the kitchen sink, and came across this issue.
                Michael,

Have you considered a 3 inch paddletail?

I have lost count of the tidal and freshwater species I have caught on Fat Sam Mullets from 12 Fathoms. I troll them on 1/2 oz. jigs or cast them on 1/8 oz. jigs.

http://www.12fathom.com/prodintro.php
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  Stan,

The body is 3 inches long. The trailing hook and bucktail add another 2 inches.
                  Mark: Thanks! Skitter-pop is on order.

Best regards,
                  Stan
                  Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Zman also makes a 3" paddletail that they call Minnowz, which are essentially a 3" version of the Diezel Minnowz. I haven't found them in stores locally, but they are readily available online at places like Tackledirect. I've caught plenty of fish on them so far this year.
                    Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Originally posted by rugbyfish View Post
                      Zman also makes a 3" paddletail that they call Minnowz, which are essentially a 3" version of the Diezel Minnowz. I haven't found them in stores locally, but they are readily available online at places like Tackledirect. I've caught plenty of fish on them so far this year.
                      +1 on the 3" and 4" Zman "Minnowz".

If looking for an all-around jig/lure combo, the Minnowz on a 1/4oz, 3/8oz, or 1/2oz jig head works like a champ. Also, all Zman soft plastics are extremely sturdy and resilient - they will hold up to multiple strikes from a variety of toothy species.
                      -manny

Hobie Outback
                      Wilderness Systems 130T
                      Hobie Outfitter

Comment

My only complaint with Zman is the fact they become loose on the jighead just like all the other soft plastic bodies...and if you dab on super glue it melts them...
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

The slipping seems to be unavoidable, although with the tough plastic I have had some luck re-hooking them to the jig head in a slightly different spot. Either way, I really like their durability, and I've had good luck with them so far.
                          Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                            My only complaint with Zman is the fact they become loose on the jighead just like all the other soft plastic bodies...and if you dab on super glue it melts them...
                            Ron,

You're right. On some jig heads I had that same problem.

I ended up finding two styles that minimized that "loosening" effect you speak of: The "Gulp!" brand jigs, and the "Trout Eye" (V-style) jig head. In my experience these two styles have the best locking mechanisms that hold on to the Zman bodies better than other jig head styles.

-manny

Hobie Outback
                            Wilderness Systems 130T
                            Hobie Outfitter

Comment

This video should help as well:

https://youtu.be/8KVHRTEI_co
                              -manny

Hobie Outback
                              Wilderness Systems 130T
                              Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Mark: Thanks! Skitter-pop is on order.

Best regards,
                                Stan
                                Good. I caught a 21 inch speck, two bluefish and a bunch of schoolie stripers with it today.

I hope it works as well for you.
                                Mark
                                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                                X