Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Hurricane rod

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Waldorf
    Posts
    297

    Default Hurricane rod

    I picked up a 3wt Hurricane rod from eBay. It is a four piece from the 70s I think....13$. I'm a noob with fly fishing, but I'm digging this rod....it loads up and shoots out like a laser for me...my technique is far from great, but I'm getting better...I lost a fly to a tree on my back cast today....I'm slowly working through the starter box of flies that came with my starter Shakespeare rod...I will have to explain to the wife why I need to get a tying kit soon�� Honey, all the flies that catch fish are gone...and I don't want to buy an existing kit and have more flies that I can't use...so I have to tie my own...I hit a community pond this afternoon....it had larger bluegill than I have been catching...good times...they were hitting hard and fast...large enough to fillet if I trusted the water in there...
    Hobie Outback
    Ascend 12FST
    Pelican 100

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    2,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clm View Post
    I picked up a 3wt Hurricane rod from eBay. It is a four piece from the 70s I think....13$. I'm a noob with fly fishing, but I'm digging this rod....it loads up and shoots out like a laser for me...my technique is far from great, but I'm getting better...I lost a fly to a tree on my back cast today....I'm slowly working through the starter box of flies that came with my starter Shakespeare rod...I will have to explain to the wife why I need to get a tying kit soon�� Honey, all the flies that catch fish are gone...and I don't want to buy an existing kit and have more flies that I can't use...so I have to tie my own...I hit a community pond this afternoon....it had larger bluegill than I have been catching...good times...they were hitting hard and fast...large enough to fillet if I trusted the water in there...
    You're hooked. Fun times await you.
    Mark

    Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

    Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clm View Post
    I picked up a 3wt Hurricane rod from eBay. It is a four piece from the 70s I think....13$. I'm a noob with fly fishing, but I'm digging this rod....it loads up and shoots out like a laser for me...my technique is far from great, but I'm getting better...I lost a fly to a tree on my back cast today....I'm slowly working through the starter box of flies that came with my starter Shakespeare rod...I will have to explain to the wife why I need to get a tying kit soon�� Honey, all the flies that catch fish are gone...and I don't want to buy an existing kit and have more flies that I can't use...so I have to tie my own...I hit a community pond this afternoon....it had larger bluegill than I have been catching...good times...they were hitting hard and fast...large enough to fillet if I trusted the water in there...
    YEP! You are hooked...It's just like "Drugs" except this won't kill you...unless the wife finds out how much tying equipment you have purchased! Welcome to the club, Speaking of Club, Free State Fly Fishes of Maryland meets the first Wednesday of the month and has free Fly Ting Class n the first Saturday of the month. I'll get the address and post it for you.

    eyedaddy

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Waldorf
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Awesome....it starts in September right? I thought I read that somewhere....I'm am interested in attending.
    Hobie Outback
    Ascend 12FST
    Pelican 100

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    2,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clm View Post
    Awesome....it starts in September right? I thought I read that somewhere....I'm am interested in attending.
    Formal meetings with guest speakers start in September.

    I will be the guest speaker in January summarizing some of our 2017 FSFF outings.

    Fly tying on Saturdays is pretty much a year round activity. However, there are some occasional breaks.

    Check website for details. http://fs-ff.com/index.php/events/
    Mark

    Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

    Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Waldorf
    Posts
    297

    Default

    I plan on making it to next Saturday's fly tying in Davidsonville.


    I took my fly rod to NC last week and caught a handful of bluegill. I lost a popper today to decent size bass. He hit it and never stopped...it looks like he sliced the thin tippet....I have some 10lb braid I was thinking of trying...not sure how it will roll, but I will see.
    Hobie Outback
    Ascend 12FST
    Pelican 100

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    2,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clm View Post
    I plan on making it to next Saturday's fly tying in Davidsonville.


    I took my fly rod to NC last week and caught a handful of bluegill. I lost a popper today to decent size bass. He hit it and never stopped...it looks like he sliced the thin tippet....I have some 10lb braid I was thinking of trying...not sure how it will roll, but I will see.
    Congrats on your catches.

    I've never tried braid as a tippet but my suspicion is that 10 pound braid which is very thin may be too limp to adequately turn over a bass popper. I use 10 or 12 pound mono as tippet for LM bass poppers. That also works for pickerels because they too will hit poppers and they often live in the same spaces with largemouth bass. It's good to be prepared for both. Just check your tippet frequently for fraying after catching a pickerel and retie if necessary.

    Most of the time both species are lip-hooked and the tippet never enters their mouths. Although I do recall one time a pickerel slashed at my popper and missed it. It bit through the tippet. The good news is that my popper was floating harmlessly where the pickerel struck. I paddled over and retrieved it.

    After a largemouth bass or pickerel is hooked it's rare for them to break a 10 pound mono tippet given the stretch of the leader, and the bend of the fly rod. You're correct that 10 pound test is sufficient. But I think you'll find that 10 pound mono will work better than the braid.

    Continued success to you with the long rod.
    Mark

    Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

    Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Waldorf
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Just saw your post about the outing...guess that's why no one was at the club for the 9/9/17 tying. I hit the local pond for some bluegill while the family fed the turtles. Maybe I will try another time.
    Hobie Outback
    Ascend 12FST
    Pelican 100

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    2,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clm View Post
    Just saw your post about the outing...guess that's why no one was at the club for the 9/9/17 tying. I hit the local pond for some bluegill while the family fed the turtles. Maybe I will try another time.
    No. I'm sorry if you went to the clubhouse expecting it to be open. The gentleman in charge of Saturday's tying session had a conflict that surfaced only a few days before the event. The cancellation was announced Thursday, 7 September on the FSFF member Yahoo groups list.

    Fly tying is a separate FSFF activity from club fishing outings. The two may indeed run concurrently and would have today had the tying leader been available.

    You can check the website for the most up-to-date event schedule: http://fs-ff.com/index.php/events/

    You may not see tying on the schedule until January when it should resume its weekly format during the winter months.

    I hope the bluegills kept you busy today.
    Mark

    Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

    Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Waldorf
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Thanks Mark. No worries. The blue gills cooperated and I flew a couple of RC aircraft. It was a good day.
    Hobie Outback
    Ascend 12FST
    Pelican 100

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •