Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kiptopeke/Tunnel trip Aug 12-13

With a valid MD tidal license you don't need to purchase a Va License for saltwater, including the back bays, but you do need to go to the Va Saltwater registry, enter your information and print out a registry copy to keep with you. For Va freshwater you would need to purchase an out of state license.
    Sun Camo Feel Free Lure 13.5
    Lowrance Elite 7 ti w/Totalscan
    B & C Power Yachts transom mount
    Minn Kota 45 Riptide
    Gama Electronics RF340-80A-SC wireless controller
    Re-Lion 75Ah Lithium Iron Deep Cycle

What the previous poster said concerning a license.

As far as paddle yaks go, my friend Pat that is coming will be paddling. Another person has contacted me and I'm not sure what they're bringing, but whatever it is should be fine. The wind looks ok, but there is a chance of thunderstorms so be aware of that.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Quote Originally Posted by silasvirus82 View Post
    For anybody interested, the current plan is to sleep in the parking lot off Cedar Grove Dr Friday night. I'm leaving Pasadena by 4:00, hopefully a little earlier if possible to minimize traffic, and plan to stop somewhere along the way for bait. The park opens at 6 a.m. and we plan to be waiting at the gate, ready to fish. I believe the fee will be $8, but I'm not sure if kayaks get a different rate. We plan to launch at the designated kayak area that appears to be near the boat ramp. If you wish to join us for some ghost ship fun I look forward to seeing you out there!

I'll followup after the weekend with a report.

Oh, man!! I am so tempted. But, I'll probably need to pass. I hope you guys have a blast!

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

The waters in that general area are stunning as these photos from my trip with John Veil and John Rentch during the past few days will attest:

P1010850.jpg P1010851.jpg P1010852.jpg

The fish can frustrate because they're either there in great numbers or they're not. We caught bluefish, specks and small stripers in the areas pictured above. No reds.

Topwater will work, even when fish are not breaking. But the simplest and most effective lure is a light jighead and 3 inch paddletail.

P1010846.jpg

Good luck guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark

Olive Hobie Revo 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

The simplest lure...jighead and 3 inch paddletail...always works- the modern day "universal" lure...fresh water, salt water, brackish water- doesn't matter- amazingly effective lure...and can be fished in a variety of ways from simply reeling to vertical jigging...it just catches fish...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

I was fishing around Fisherman's Island today and rode up three miles to the concrete ships at Kiptopeke just for a look. I caught one undersized flounder there today using Gulp on a bottom rig.

As Mark noted, there are many very scenic and fishy-looking spots on the Virginia eastern shore. Over the past four days, I caught 11 different species on the bay side and the ocean side. None of my catches were particularly large, but the variety is enjoyable.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 and Slayer Propel 10
    Member - Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" - light tackle fishing techniques for kayaks and small boats

My SCUBA rescue diver training for the weekend was cancelled so I'm starting my trip early. I may see some of you guys on Sunday.

Allan and I were the only two to make it, and we had a great time checking out this unique area. The fishing was nothing spectacular, but we did catch enough to stay motivated. Thunderstorms plagued us all morning on Saturday, so we really didn't start fishing until after lunch. I landed several croaker, a nice triggerfish, spot, one small flounder, and countless undersized bass around the ships. I later switched to finding a big redfish as I had reports of them hanging around the area. After peddling out several miles from shore and watching a storm brew on the horizon, I drifted an area with an eel once and called it a day. It was too risky in the conditions to be out there alone, especially if that storm got close. After that I decided to just head home and forgo the bridge in the morning. I didn't catch any of my target species, keepers anyway, but it was nice pulling up something different. I'd still like to find some sheepshead, and maybe go after a big redfish if the opportunity presents itself, so I'll be back.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Glad you got down there. I was thinking about you all on Saturday as it was raining its butt off in Salisbury. We went down yesterday and did not find any reds either; however, some where caught right next to us. I posted a report in the VA section.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback