No announcement yet.

Kiptopeke/Tunnel trip Aug 12-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was fishing around Fisherman's Island today and rode up three miles to the concrete ships at Kiptopeke just for a look. I caught one undersized flounder there today using Gulp on a bottom rig.

As Mark noted, there are many very scenic and fishy-looking spots on the Virginia eastern shore. Over the past four days, I caught 11 different species on the bay side and the ocean side. None of my catches were particularly large, but the variety is enjoyable.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

My SCUBA rescue diver training for the weekend was cancelled so I'm starting my trip early. I may see some of you guys on Sunday.

Comment

Allan and I were the only two to make it, and we had a great time checking out this unique area. The fishing was nothing spectacular, but we did catch enough to stay motivated. Thunderstorms plagued us all morning on Saturday, so we really didn't start fishing until after lunch. I landed several croaker, a nice triggerfish, spot, one small flounder, and countless undersized bass around the ships. I later switched to finding a big redfish as I had reports of them hanging around the area. After peddling out several miles from shore and watching a storm brew on the horizon, I drifted an area with an eel once and called it a day. It was too risky in the conditions to be out there alone, especially if that storm got close. After that I decided to just head home and forgo the bridge in the morning. I didn't catch any of my target species, keepers anyway, but it was nice pulling up something different. I'd still like to find some sheepshead, and maybe go after a big redfish if the opportunity presents itself, so I'll be back.
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Glad you got down there. I was thinking about you all on Saturday as it was raining its butt off in Salisbury. We went down yesterday and did not find any reds either; however, some where caught right next to us. I posted a report in the VA section.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
          X