Kiptopeke/Tunnel trip Aug 12-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiptopeke/Tunnel trip Aug 12-13

If anyone wants to join, yakscientist (Pat) and I are going down to Kiptopeke Friday night the 11th, sleeping at the campground most likely, and fishing the ghost ships the majority of the day Saturday. Target species would include sheepshead, trout, and flounder. Depending on our success and schedule, we would either leave that afternoon or stay Saturday night and try the bridge in the morning. Target species would be spadefish, reds or hopefully a cobia. There have been many good reports this year for both locations, but this is our first time going so I'm not making any promises. I have experience fishing these methods though, from my time in SC, and I don't expect things to be drastically different. If anyone has any specific pointers for this time of year at those locations by all means I'd love to hear about it!

There is a bait shop close by called Chris Bait & Tackle that should have anything live or artificial you need. Camping at the State Park is $28/night for non-residents of VA, but we may find a cheaper option between now and then. We're planning on doing everything on the cheap, but don't hesitate to do you're own thing and just join us for fishing.

I'll post more information as needed.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Would love to go with you guys, however I'll be out of town. Maybe next time.
    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Although the campgrounds are really nice there is a cheaper option for short stays nearby, PM me for details

Comment

For anybody interested, the current plan is to sleep in the parking lot off Cedar Grove Dr Friday night. I'm leaving Pasadena by 4:00, hopefully a little earlier if possible to minimize traffic, and plan to stop somewhere along the way for bait. The park opens at 6 a.m. and we plan to be waiting at the gate, ready to fish. I believe the fee will be $8, but I'm not sure if kayaks get a different rate. We plan to launch at the designated kayak area that appears to be near the boat ramp. If you wish to join us for some ghost ship fun I look forward to seeing you out there!

I'll followup after the weekend with a report.
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Good luck, fellas. If you're willing to take a recommendation from someone who frequently fishes the area, it would be best to focus on one or two target species at a time. In that area, puppy reds and Specks pair well together. As do bull reds and cobia. Flounder, spades, and Sheepies at the CBBT are an option also. Its not all that unheard of to find sheepies and spades at the ships, but most are caught on the span of the tunnel or over the tubes. Just something to keep in mind for your planning.

You'll find most of your specks and puppy drum mixed in along the shoreline; around the pound nets. Casting your typical jig head/soft plastic is the way to go. For Bull Reds and Cobia, your best bet is to paddle out to latimer shoals and soak bait. You can catch all kingfish you want on fish bites around the ships for bait. These make great baits.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I know there are plenty of other threads out there to help you, but its obviously easier for me to find the ones that I have posted. I hope these help. They are not incredible detailed because I believe in the spirit of learning, but maybe there is a thread of something useful. Each of these trips were either out of Kiptopeake or around (within a few miles) of Kiptopeake.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...l-Reds-8-27-16

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...759-Fall-Bulls

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...AA-Fish-a-Thon

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...t-Fall-Redfish

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...-Report-thread

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
              I know there are plenty of other threads out there to help you, but its obviously easier for me to find the ones that I have posted. I hope these help. They are not incredible detailed because I believe in the spirit of learning, but maybe there is a thread of something useful. Each of these trips were either out of Kiptopeake or around (within a few miles) of Kiptopeake.
              Hey man thanks, I plan to read these tonight. The only reason I knew about this place is watching a video another kayaker posted. It looked interesting and I haven't had a good sheepshead fight in too long. Where is the closest launch to access the CBBT?
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

If you really want a sheepie, you need to pass by Kiptopeake and launch from Chicks Beach (right beside the restaurant Bouy 44) on the VA Beach side of the bay. Fishing the CBBT pilings all the way to the first island using fiddler crabs and mole crabs is your best bet. Like I said, I am not saying there isn't a sheepie at Kipto, because there certainly is, but they are most concentrated on the piling and over the tubes of the tunnel.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Mark, John Rentch, and I are staying in Wachapreague for a few nights. This afternoon we fished from my center console on the bay side about 30-40 mins north of Kiptopeke. For most of the trip we had almost no success. Then we found an acre-sized batch of fish that fed aggressively for the next 45 mins. We brought back 5 specks to 21" -- some of those will be consumed for dinner. We found about 50 stripers, but all under 18".

Tomorrow we plan to fish near Fisherman's Island. Good luck this weekend.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John, I might be interested joining you. I plan on leaving from work around 4. Few questions:

Do you need to purchase VA license separately if you already have MD fresh+tidal waters license?
                    I own OK Trident 13. Can you conveniently fish for sheepshead with paddled kayak?
                    Ocean Kayak Trident 13
                    Have fun,
                    Russ

Comment

With a valid MD tidal license you don't need to purchase a Va License for saltwater, including the back bays, but you do need to go to the Va Saltwater registry, enter your information and print out a registry copy to keep with you. For Va freshwater you would need to purchase an out of state license.

Comment

What the previous poster said concerning a license.

As far as paddle yaks go, my friend Pat that is coming will be paddling. Another person has contacted me and I'm not sure what they're bringing, but whatever it is should be fine. The wind looks ok, but there is a chance of thunderstorms so be aware of that.
                        2015 Hobie Outback
                        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                          For anybody interested, the current plan is to sleep in the parking lot off Cedar Grove Dr Friday night. I'm leaving Pasadena by 4:00, hopefully a little earlier if possible to minimize traffic, and plan to stop somewhere along the way for bait. The park opens at 6 a.m. and we plan to be waiting at the gate, ready to fish. I believe the fee will be $8, but I'm not sure if kayaks get a different rate. We plan to launch at the designated kayak area that appears to be near the boat ramp. If you wish to join us for some ghost ship fun I look forward to seeing you out there!

I'll followup after the weekend with a report.

Oh, man!! I am so tempted. But, I'll probably need to pass. I hope you guys have a blast!

Best Regards,
                          Stan
                          Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

The waters in that general area are stunning as these photos from my trip with John Veil and John Rentch during the past few days will attest:

P1010850.jpg P1010851.jpg P1010852.jpg

The fish can frustrate because they're either there in great numbers or they're not. We caught bluefish, specks and small stripers in the areas pictured above. No reds.

Topwater will work, even when fish are not breaking. But the simplest and most effective lure is a light jighead and 3 inch paddletail.

P1010846.jpg

Good luck guys.
                            Attached Files
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

The simplest lure...jighead and 3 inch paddletail...always works- the modern day "universal" lure...fresh water, salt water, brackish water- doesn't matter- amazingly effective lure...and can be fished in a variety of ways from simply reeling to vertical jigging...it just catches fish...
                              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                              X