No announcement yet.

2017 - CCA REDTROUT Tournament - September 29th-Oct 1st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just an update on fishing on the lower shore at this time.....

Specks are HERE. Some nice 20+ inch specks were caught over the weekend. In addition to that, there is a great shallow water rockfish bite. Some fish caught last week were pushing 30 inches. Outgoing tide has been good at the mouths of little creeks and tidal ditches. Some puppy drum are also showing up, as well as large 50" bull reds. This one was from Monday.

The food, company, scenery, and prizes alone are enough to fish this tournament, but the fact that the fishing is outstanding now makes it even better. If anyone is on the fence, please send me a PM and I'd be happy to help you out with tackle, launch locations, and tactics that may make your time on the water more productive. Don't get me wrong, I am in it to win also, but I'd rather see a good representation from the kayak community. Now we just need to pray all these hurricanes stay away!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Dang, that's a bigun'. Wish I lived closer or had more time to join you over/down there.
      2015 Hobie Outback
      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
        Dang, that's a bigun'. Wish I lived closer or had more time to join you over/down there.
        Thanks...as my daughter gets older and another on the way, I find myself struggling for time also. Hopefully one year you can make it down because the fall on the eastern shore is a special time.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
          Thanks...as my daughter gets older and another on the way, I find myself struggling for time also. Hopefully one year you can make it down because the fall on the eastern shore is a special time.
          I've got #2 due in late-Feb myself! But my wife is very forgiving and lets me do man stuff more than I deserve.
          2015 Hobie Outback
          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
            I've camped and fished the marshes and Islands around Janes three times in the last three years; twice in early to mid-October, and once in June, and launching in the Canal. All three times I got plenty of dink stripers but not much else.

But, I am going again Oct 7 weekend. It is a magical place, but my plan this year is not to launch in the Canal, but to launch either on the south end of Crisfield proper itself ( this requires driving from the camp site), or driving about ten miles to Rumbley Point (not to be confused with Rumbley) on the north shore of the Pocomoke sort of near the mouth. I only had an hour to fish there in Oct of '15, but got several strikes and landed a just undersized rock.

I think those areas may be better for specs and reds too in September. The reason we go in Oct is the flies and mosquitos are pretty much down by then. The flies should mostly be down in the last week of Sept too.

All that said, RavensDefense is one hell of a lot better fisherman than I. I've had great luck following his advice!
            Ill be camping at janes oct 6-8 if you'd like to link up!
            Michael
            2016 Hobie Mirage Outback
            Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
              I've got #2 due in late-Feb myself! But my wife is very forgiving and lets me do man stuff more than I deserve.
              Congrats! I've got the second one coming February 14th (give or take, haha). Great time to have a newborn....nothing else going on. The way I figure it, is I have until May to get things settled so I can return to fishing again.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

As we approach the tourney, I'll be giving reports from fishing around Crisfield in hopes any one who is one the fence decides to join. On Tuesday, I launch from Somers Cove in Crisfield and fished around Janes Island State park. LOTS of fish....more <20" inch rock than >20" rock, but I caught my limit relatively easily with the largest being 23". Fish were caught on a variety of baits including topwater. I also caught 5 speckled trout; although I didn't specifically target them.

Another plus was that there were ZERO bugs; likely due to the recent run of cooler weather we've had. That was a relief!

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Very nice. I went out of Rumbly Saturday morning. I kept busy but no keepers.....

IMG_0375.jpgIMG_1233.jpg
                    Jackson Big Tuna
                    Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

Nice! I really like Rumbley for specks. I went there a couple weeks ago too and it was dink city with the exception of one keeper.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Quick report -

Friday at the CBBT. One big red at 48 inches, a 23" pup, and a 23" flounder. Saw a few other big reds caught also.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Let's hope hurricane Maria stays offshore, picks up some speed, and moves on past our area in time to not effect the tournament!
                          Brian

Comment

We don't speak the H-word around here! Lol

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

TS Jose is a joker in the deck with Maria...the Weather guessers are saying it is key to the path of Maria...latest spaghetti models are showing Jose making a loop and headed straight inland...
                              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                                TS Jose is a joker in the deck with Maria...the Weather guessers are saying it is key to the path of Maria...latest spaghetti models are showing Jose making a loop and headed straight inland...
                                I saw that yesterday too. Thankfully, Jose is well north of us at this point. This mornings models show Maria staying much further off the east coast than yesterdays models and it should be well off the coast of Hatteras by Tuesday morning as a Cat 1 storm....while continuing a NE'erly track. Assuming all that nonsense is correct, the weather for the RedTrout tourney should not be impacted by the H-word (knock on wood!).

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                                X