Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 - CCA REDTROUT Tournament - September 29th-Oct 1st

2017 - CCA REDTROUT Tournament - September 29th-Oct 1st

Since we are about half way through summer and it is kind of cool outside, I thought I'd take the time to pass along the information about this year's CCA REDTROUT tournament. This years tournament will again be held in Crisfield, MD. The home base is the American Legion, in Crisfield. There will be a captains meeting at 7:30PM on September 29th, followed by 2-days of fishing on Saturday, September 30th and Sunday, October 1st.

The waters that surround Crisfield are ripe with speckled trout (especially this year!), striped bass, bluefish, red drum, and even flounder for those who target them. Because the Tangier Sound is shallow, with crystal clear water over grass beds, kayak anglers do great at this event each year.

The entry fee for the tournament is $55 for CCA members and non-CCA members alike. If you are a CCA member and register by 9/1 you also receive a free performance T-Shirt. Your entry fee also includes a FREE catered dinner on Saturday evening. In addition, there several divisions to win (see below) with the minimum entry free. Calcuttas are also available for the other categories of Crisfield Slam, Fly Fishing, and Longest Overall Fish.

Prizes

1. The Power Boat and kayak divisions will have 1st, 2nd 3rd place prizes and cash prizes 1st place will receive $300, 2nd place $200, and 3rd place $100.
    2. The biggest overall Red Fish, Striped Bass, and Speckled Trout divisions are winner take all. The winner for each division receives a cash prize of $300. There will be a Power Boat winner and a kayak winner for largest Redfish, Striped Bass and Speckled Trout.
    3. Youth division is 1st, 2nd, 3rd place.
    4. All Calcuttas are winner take all

Participants in the kayak division may fish anywhere in the MD/VA tidal waters of the Chesapeake Bay and are also permitted to launch from anywhere. The angler who catches the largest three fish stringer (made up of completely one species or three separate species) wins the overall kayak division prize of $300. In addition there is also a $300 prize for the largest kayak caught redfish, speck, and rock. So in short, there are many ways to win and walk away with a good deal of spending money! The eligible species for the tournament are red drum, speckled trout, rockfish, bluefish, and flounder.

The link below takes you to the REDTROUT website. From here you can see the full rules, prizes, directions to the American Legion, and register. If you all have any questions about fishing the area, where to stay, travel time, etc. please ask in this thread and I'll be happy to help where I can. I look forward to this event each year and hope to see a great snaggedline showing at this year's event!

https://www.ianglertournament.com/hu...out-tournament

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Thanks but the last two years I've spent a week there at Janes Island with some other Snaggedliners around that time. The weather was hotter than hell, the biting insects were out in full force and the fishing was horrible due to the heat. With as hot as it has been here now I expect more of the same so I will respectfully have to pass on this one but I will be going there mid November.
    Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 08-02-2017, 09:21 AM.

Comment

I hope you reconsider. I assure you that the last week of September is PRIME speck and red fishing around Crisfield and the ESVA. As someone who resides, takes guided trips, and fishes the waters down here often, I can tell the fish will be here. They are here now in the early mornings and late evenings. By the time the end of September arrives, the average high temp is 79 with lows in the 60's. Our waters temps will be in the mid 70-degree range, which is just right for bait fish to re-invade our shallows. Once mid November rolls around, most of our pups and specks have retreated south....along with the bugs.

Hopefully as the date approaches, the weatherman will predict cooler temps. With that and some positive fishing reports from some of us who fish down here regularly, I hope you can make the trip again. It really is a great tournament that us kayak anglers have been doing great in for years.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I cleared my calendar for this event a couple weeks ago. It'll be my first time fishing it since the tournaments first year. I'm looking forward to it!
        Brian

Comment

I've camped and fished the marshes and Islands around Janes three times in the last three years; twice in early to mid-October, and once in June, and launching in the Canal. All three times I got plenty of dink stripers but not much else.

But, I am going again Oct 7 weekend. It is a magical place, but my plan this year is not to launch in the Canal, but to launch either on the south end of Crisfield proper itself ( this requires driving from the camp site), or driving about ten miles to Rumbley Point (not to be confused with Rumbley) on the north shore of the Pocomoke sort of near the mouth. I only had an hour to fish there in Oct of '15, but got several strikes and landed a just undersized rock.

I think those areas may be better for specs and reds too in September. The reason we go in Oct is the flies and mosquitos are pretty much down by then. The flies should mostly be down in the last week of Sept too.

All that said, RavensDefense is one hell of a lot better fisherman than I. I've had great luck following his advice!
          Last edited by Fishinfool; 08-03-2017, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
            All that said, RavensDefense is one hell of a lot better fisherman than I. I've had great luck following his advice!
            I wouldn't say that. Instead, I'd go with closer to the water we are talking about. Sometimes, I'm a fish out of water in new areas too. Your strategy to get outside of Janes Island is a good one. Rumbley, Colbourn Creek, and Jenkins Creek are all great locations to launch a kayak from. The biggest thing is finding grass beds and moving water. I can say from experience, that this year in particular, the grass beds are vast. They seem to improve every year.

Just for the sake of updating everyone on the fishing, I took my wife and daughter out of Rumbley last night in a small skiff. I caught a 17 inch rock on the second cast. I only made a few more casts after this because fishing with a 2-year old tends to complicate things, but the amount of bait in the water was encouraging. It'll only be improving. Also, we did not get bitten or see a single bug. That was the real victory of the night.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
              I cleared my calendar for this event a couple weeks ago. It'll be my first time fishing it since the tournaments first year. I'm looking forward to it!
              Greeaaaat. There goes the prize for the largest speck.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Sounds like fun and always have this one on my calendar but haven't been able to make it work. Will definitely try it this year. Great to hear the bugs and the flies aren't biting too. Hopefully can try fishing some new water.

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                  Greeaaaat. There goes the prize for the largest speck.
                  I would be happy with that. Along with biggest red, striper, stringer, etc....

Of course the Hobie Life boys know how to put a hook into a big speck. You have to watch out for them!
                  Brian

Comment

I'll be there the whole week!!!
                    Matt (Formerly CB Kayak 02 "Over 3,000 Posts")
                    CCA Annapolis Chapter President

Hobie Outback 2015

Comment

Originally posted by thehobielife View Post
                      I'll be there the whole week!!!
                      Well there's some good news

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Im gonna do this one this year though with my limited speck and red fishing knowledge It will be a shot in the dark
                        D Hawk
                        Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                        Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Originally posted by dhawk View Post
                          Im gonna do this one this year though with my limited speck and red fishing knowledge It will be a shot in the dark
                          Awesome! I love the attitude. I seriously doubt you'll be behind the 8-ball too much. The grass beds are frequent and think all around the Crisfield area. If you find the grass, you'll find the specks and any reds that are around.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by dhawk View Post
                            Irregardless its the most beautiful part of Maryland.
                            Matt (Formerly CB Kayak 02 "Over 3,000 Posts")
                            CCA Annapolis Chapter President

Hobie Outback 2015

Comment

Originally posted by thehobielife View Post
                              Irregardless its the most beautiful part of Maryland.
                              It is beautiful fished out of rumbly and janes island weather and fishing sucked while i was there but the veiws made up for the fishing
                              D Hawk
                              Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                              Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Working...
                              X