7/31 Ft McHenry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7/31 Ft McHenry

Launched around 800 yesterday with my son. Fished around Ft McHenry with gulp minnows and zmans and picked up several blues to 12", white perch to 11", striper to 19", and several channel catfish to 25". Was a good day of catching!

Most of the cats were taken on a chunk of bluefish belly and a bluefish head, but they also bit gulp. We were fishing relatively light gear and I broke some fish off on pylons that I just couldn't turn around. My original plan was going to be to live line small perch but I only found one small one. Something took off with the only little perch like a freight train and broke off before I could do anything... likely was a decent sized striper. This might be the first time I've caught bluefish and catfish, basically next to each other. We could see the fish coming up nearly 5' down! My son was pooped and couldn't make it through the short 25 minute ride home for mom making pancakes for lunch...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Sounds like an excellent day!! Time on the water with your son made it all the better. He earned that nap!!
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

It's great to hear that blues are being caught up north finally

Comment

Love the napping pic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        -manny

Hobie Outback
        Wilderness Systems 130T
        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Nice Shady, great pic of your son.

Comment

Great day!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
            Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Perfect!
              Harlan

Revo 13
              Trident 13
              Cuda 14
              Necky Tandem

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                Launched around 800 yesterday with my son. ...... My son was pooped and couldn't make it through the short 25 minute ride home for mom making pancakes for lunch...
                You are a good Dad!!!

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                Launched around 800 yesterday with my son. Fished around Ft McHenry with gulp minnows and zmans and picked up several blues to 12", white perch to 11", striper to 19", and several channel catfish to 25". Was a good day of catching!

Most of the cats were taken on a chunk of bluefish belly and a bluefish head, but they also bit gulp. We were fishing relatively light gear and I broke some fish off on pylons that I just couldn't turn around. My original plan was going to be to live line small perch but I only found one small one. Something took off with the only little perch like a freight train and broke off before I could do anything... likely was a decent sized striper. This might be the first time I've caught bluefish and catfish, basically next to each other. We could see the fish coming up nearly 5' down!

Very nice!! That is such a good tip, to gut a fish and use the guts to catch catfish...... I am going to try doing that.

Best Regards.
                Stan
                Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Thanks guys, it was a good trip

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Please check the Maryland DNR fish consumption guide lines before eating those Baltimore Catfish.
                    Not recommended!

Comment

I normally wouldn't keep cats from there, but had a request from someone to get some cats... I certainly released many more and much bigger then the two I kept. So I didn't eat them and told the person to make sure to spread the meals of them out over a few months... I don't even keep more then a couple meals per season of white perch from there. I'm guessing there should be no issues with Bluefish since they're extremely migratory?
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                      X