Fishing like it's supposed to be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing like it's supposed to be

As I was looking at fishing options last night after work, I initially targeted Love Pt. I texted a buddy late to see if he was available on short notice.

Based on all the recent rain, I was concerned about dirty water flowing down the watershed. Negative reports from Anglers supported that concern. We made a roadside call and opted to splash at an alternative Eastern Bay ramp.

We pushed away at 620 to calm winds, a slightly ebbing tide with 76 degree water. The light was still low so we targeted the sod banks on a nearby island. I was itching for some topwater action.

On my second cast, I had a huge blow up as a fat 24" inhaled my Smackit Jr. The fish pulled strongly in the 3' deep water and it made my drag scream and my heart smile. Scott also connected with a topwater taker so we worked the area for a while and I managed a second schoolie on top before moving off to another favorite hotspot.

DSCN4532.jpgDSCN4534.jpg
    Once in the new location, I continued to throw topwater and almost immediately had a huge double blow up with the fish actually leaping completely out of the water on the second strike. Sadly, when i went to set the hook, it came back without a fish on it. I can never be sure, but in my fisherman's brain, I am confident it was bigger than my first one.

I could not connect with any other topwater takers but I managed a 20" and a bunch of schoolies on a shallow bucktail as well as a healthy 22" that shook the hook as I was reaching to bring it over the side.

Once the bite at the second site slowed, I moved off to my favorite ledge that has often produced for me in the past. More schoolies ensued. I was marking tons of bait deep in the 15' water. As I was throwing in the towel and making my way back to the ramp, my rod got smashed and the drag began to scream. As I was fighting the fish and praying it wasn't a ray (head shakes said it wasn't) I saw a bunch of his bothers and sisters on my screen.

Once I released my latest "trophy", I circled back to find the school. I saw scattered marks but not the concentration I was hoping for. It didn't take more than a minute or 2 before the opposite rod went down hard. More strong head shakes and singing drag soon produced another clone of the last 23".

DSCN4536.jpgDSCN4537.jpg

Needless to say, I was pretty stoked. As I moved around looking for more of the same, I was disappointed to come up empty. After another schoolie, we headed for the ramp so that I could make it to work by noon. I managed another 18" on the way in.

My final tally was an even 20 fish that included those already mentioned with the balance mostly in the 12'-16" range.

All in all, I really enjoyed the day. It was great to see the cooler water and I felt like it was fishing the way it is supposed to be. It was the first time in a while since I get that way and I liked it!
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Good report Bruce.
    Glad to hear you were able to get on some quality fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T
    Hobie Outfitter

Comment

As usual Bruce a Great detailed report and you caught fish too Glad to see that "Pullage Happy Face" Tight Lines

Yak67

2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
      2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Nice report Bruce. Love those shallow water fish.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Great, detailed report Bruce. Nice job!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Sweet!
            Some days the magic works!

Comment

Nicely done!
              Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Very nice!
                Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Nice work, Bruce!

Comment

Nice, it always fun to get them on topwater.

Comment

Working...
                    X