Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats around Leesburg ?

Hey folks,
    I haven't been out on the water ever since Beaverdam Res closed up for reno, need to get back out somewhere. Anyone know of close waters to Leesburg? Im thinking about launching from Pt of Rocks and paddling up river couple miles and just float and fish on the way back, anyone do that? I'm curious as to how difficult it is to paddle up.
    Bill

On my last float trip down the Potomac I met 2 folks who paddled from landers to the campgrounds by Brunswick. He had a cuda and she had a typical touring style yak. They are bad assess in my book. My yak is pretty wide at 32" and I'm happy to float down. I park a bike at the take out point and lock it to a tree. Then lock the kayak up at the take out and peddle to my truck. Worked so far.
    PigPen - Mt Airy
    Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

It's doable, but it is easier to put in at Lander and paddle up river towards Brunswick, the current is not as strong.
      Or put in under the bridge at Brunswick and paddle upstream from there.

Be aware, that as of today August 1, the river is pretty high (5.5 feet at Point of Rocks) and unsafe. The caution level is about 4 feet and usual summer time flow is about 1.75.

Comment

thx for the input. I think I may try and get the family to campout at Brunswick and I'll paddle up a little. That river sounds like alot of fun.

Comment

The Brunswick campground stretch, upstream to the Brunswick bridge is still running a bit high. There is lot of water coming in from the Shenandoah in Harpers Ferry a couple of miles upstream.
          At low summer pool, which is 1.75 or lower at Point of Rocks, I have wet waded (in my younger days) all the way across the river starting at the camp grounds ramp. But not at the current river level.
          I like the area above the Brunswick bridge. It weedy near the Maryland shore and has a fair current. There are some nice holes up river from this.

A better bet right now, may be heading up to Taylor's Landing and paddling a couple of miles upstream from there. The current is not as strong in this area and the river is quite a bit smaller. Use the upper ramp (there are two ramps split by a small ledge). There are a couple of micro ledges upstream, but only one may be a problem, based on river level.

Comment

Whats around Leesburg ?

It's crazy how little fishing there is in Loudoun county outside of the Potomac and the currently closed Beaverdam Rez. You would think someone would fill those hills with a huge reservoir to bring more people out to the wineries. But I digress

Goose creek has a few launches. You can paddle and portage up to the dam from the goose creek golf course. Then there is another launch to the side of the national conventional center. (Kephart Bridge Landing) you should be able to get to the Potomac from there in a nice slackwater area, but I don't know if you can get back. Lastly, if you can get access to the river creek community, they have a park right at the confluence that would be a perfect launch.

I've google mapped Sleeter Lake in Round Hill, is public access allowed there? Looks like there's a couple different launches to cover the lake.

Lastly, don't sleep in Lake Frederick, it has to be as close as any other impoundment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I tried sleeter lake couple years ago, It was a private lake or you had to be a resident in the near community, not sure that has changed at all in the past few years. I think I'll dig a big hole in my backyard and stock it with fish.

Comment

Working...
              X