Piney Point 7/31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piney Point 7/31

Myself, Ron, Yak67 and Gary's friend Tony fished Piney this morning. Launched at 5:45 to a delightfully cool day and light winds. The water was incredibly high and we still had 2 1/2 hours to high tide.

Ron and I made some half hearted passes at the bridge but our minds were on drum. So like a guy at the bar who spots a blonde across the room we took off for the grass and sod banks passing all others in our haste. Gary stayed and worked the room and before long we heard over the radio big fish on. He landed this nice 25" fish shortly after we had moved on.

Meanwhile we were picking up the occasional small rock and jumbo perch but no drum fell to our extensive efforts to find one. I did see multiple splashes with minnows jumping but I think they were just perch working today. We both agreed the water was so high it altered how the banks fished. Seemed to be at least a foot above normal.

Gary and Tony dropped some fish bites and were picking up 4-6" hardheads in 10-12' of water. Bigger ones have to be close. Called it quits around 9:30. Fishing was OK but not great. Water had dropped to 78.5 degrees from 85 before the storms so the fish may still be adjusting as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Good report! Hardheads should be here soon,

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

Nice striper Gary.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice fish Gary, glad you are back on the water.
        John Rentch
        Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
        Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
          ...Gary stayed and worked the room and before long we heard over the radio big fish on. He landed this nice 25" fish shortly after we had moved on.
          Gary has learned the rewards of patience during his lengthy time away from the water. It paid off for him today.

Congratulations, Gary and thanks for the report, Mike.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Beautiful day on the water...no Redfish or specks today...tide was abnormally high...water temps dropped a bunch from our last trip...I kept four fish for supper...a 12, 11 1/2, 10 1/2 and a 10 inch white perch...hard to complain about not catching big trout or Redfish after the luck I have had with fishing this year...a dozen or so school stripers, about the same with perch...little ones got thrown back...the SMOG crew launched just before day break...water was like glass...being retired allows you the luxury of choosing great weather days to fish...
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Nice fish, Gary!!
              Bruce

Hobie PA 14
              Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Working...
              X