Tying but not flies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tying but not flies...

Made up some 1/4 buck tails. Is there a trick to keeping the feathers from spinning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice!
    Harlan

Revo 13
    Trident 13
    Cuda 14
    Necky Tandem

Comment

Brian,

I like them. Impressive. Terrific color choices.

To stop hair, feathers, or whatever from spinning while tying, position your material on the jig collar (or hook shaft if you're tying a fly) and make several loose wraps of thread first, just tight enough to hold the material precisely where you want it. Then cinch down with successively tighter wraps of thread after you have the material in place.

Also you can cut or file the barb off the jig if you want to before tying. That way the barb won't impede you from laying a nice layer of bucktail around the entire perimeter of the jig collar.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Those look nice. What do you think they will catch?

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
          Those look nice. What do you think they will catch?
          Hopefully some rockfish, but who knows.... anything would be icing on the cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            Brian,

I like them. Impressive. Terrific color choices.

To stop hair, feathers, or whatever from spinning while tying, position your material on the jig collar (or hook shaft if you're tying a fly) and make several loose wraps of thread first, just tight enough to hold the material precisely where you want it. Then cinch down with successively tighter wraps of thread after you have the material in place.

Also you can cut or file the barb off the jig if you want to before tying. That way the barb won't impede you from laying a nice layer of bucktail around the entire perimeter of the jig collar.
            Thanks Mark,

That's great tip on jigs.

I'd like to add that the fly tying flash folks make holographic tinsel flash in black and silver barred that could be good replacement for grizzly feathers.
            PigPen - Mt Airy
            Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Working...
            X