Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

for those of you using the bed of a truck to transport your kayak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F350 CrewCab Longbed - Purchased my PA14 and had already purchased the bed extender.

Turns out, with the tailgate down, I can haul the PA14, and the Outback diagonal on its side, with only 2 ratchet straps and no bed extender. The ratchet straps are red, so the tails flapping in the wind double as my red flags.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

The bed on my truck is 6'6" and I haul all my kayaks with out a bed extender, the longest one being 14 1/2'. I had a truck with a 5'6" bed and personally would never own another one if I had a choice. In that truck I did use a bed extender for my big kayak.
      1980 Something Old Town Canoe
      2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
      2015 Coosa HD
      2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
      2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Those trucks with 5 foot beds crack me up. I don't get why anybody would want a pickup with such a tiny bed. I downsized on my current truck to a 6.5' bed. I'd prefer an 8' in general--might as well have 8 foot since you still need to back in or park far out at shopping malls with a 6.5' extended cab--but for hauling a yak in the bed 6.5' is plenty for the average size yak on diagonal. No need for bed extender unless it's over 14'. My outback does not hang past the tailgate much at all on diagonal. 6' bed should be sufficient for up to 12' yak with no extender.

Comment

+1 on the cheap bed extender from Harbor Freight.

I used to have a ford ranger. Now a Silverado. Both worked fine.

Now's a good time to get a new truck deal.

Best Regards,
          Stan
          Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

I have a Tacoma with a 5 1/2. I flip the bed extender down and my 12ft fits fine. I tie a red flag on the end. I'm not sure if I need it or not but I do it just to be safe. It would work fine if you propped it on top of the tailgate.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

I had a short bed & a harbor freight bed extender & no issues with my PA 14.
              Red 2015 Hobie Outback
              Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

Working...
              X