Deeper Smart Sonar PRO+ - Thoughts as a decent FF for yaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deeper Smart Sonar PRO+ - Thoughts as a decent FF for yaking

Looking at prospective FF for yak fishing.

A decent FF (5" or more) will probably add 10lbs to the boat and cost $400 or more.

I then came across the Deeper Smart Sonar PRO+.

First off, my philosophy with yak fishing is less is more. I'm not really interested in spending a ton of time setting/breaking down (and money) to do something as relaxing and simplistic as yak fishing.

The Deeper Smart Sonar PRO+ has a couple features that I think are interesting:

1. Super small and light: weighs 3oz and comes with a flex rod to mount to your track system
    2. Runs on battery and is rechargable - no heavy marine battery needed
    3. Can be used as a trolling sonar/GPS and/or as a casting sonar from boat or land (or pier)
    4. Can be cast out using fishing tackle - great for a couple of reasons
    a. you can get fish and structure info in cramped places (docks, etc.) without moving your yak there
    b. you can get fish info silently by casting up wind and letting it slowly move into the fish area without spooking them
    5. Is inexpensive and can use your existing iOS/Android phone (WiFi communication to phone)
    6. Has a really long range (due to WiFi) so you can get a huge area of recon away from your yak

You can basically get it for $200.
    I thought I'd pair this with an Amazon Fire7 tablet (7") that I'm not using anymore which runs new on Amazon for $50. Waterproof that and you've got a huge high resolution monitor that is relatively inexpensive.

It gets great reviews on Amazon.

Here's a video of a reputable yakker using it to do inshore yak fishing.

Anyone used this and/or have thoughts about its utility?

Thanks,

smithmal
    smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
    Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Smithmal,
    I sent a message to a friend that is a host of a pod cast called "Rut and River Pursuit" his name is Shane Frye and he goes by "Catfish", he has been using one of the Deeper Sonars and can give you an insight to them. They just had the guys from Deeper here fishing in PA after the ICAST show. Check out their POD cast or find them on Facebook. Hopefully Shane will chime in.

Comment

That would be awesome if Shane could give us his thoughts about this device.

smithmal
      smithmal

Comment

Listened to the podcast (which you can find here) and it looks like everyone was really impressed with the Deeper technology. They indicated that a video was shot with them using the product but I guess it hasn't been released yet?

Anywho, this product just leaped up to the top of my list in terms of functionality vs. price.

I downloaded the app (free on iOS/Google Play) to take a look at the Simulation mode and it seemed pretty intuitive. That being said, I don't have any standard of comparison since I've never owned a FF....

smithmal
        Last edited by smithmal; 07-30-2017, 02:13 PM.
        smithmal

Comment

Shane messaged me last night and said he signed up on this site, he was just waiting on his confirmation to start posting. You may want to reach out to him on Face Book? He said he was getting ready to go to Florida to do some Snook fishimg.

Comment

fwiw, FF is just a tool to use - If you familiarize yourself with the 'Deeper' gear and it becomes useful, then all the better (and cheaper!)
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

If your sold on it then buy it, plain and simple. I can see its usefulness and thought about one of the Deeper models at the time I was ready to buy my first FF for my yak. They have come a long way since then and I believe I have become a lot smarter on how to use a FF for yak fishing since then. I wouldn't trade my current FF for anything but if $$ is an issue then the Deeper would provide a cost effective means for one. I will say the way I have my complete set up in no way does my entire system weigh remotely 10lbs but they can dependent on the battery one uses. My battery is a 10ah and only weighs 1.4lbs and is small enough I can put two of them in my sonar pod for my lights and FF.

Comment

Working...
              X