Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proven Smallmout Flies

I wonder if I could make a hair brush with a non absorbent material to replace the yarn to get the same effect. Something like a extra big Estas.
    PigPen - Mt Airy
    Native Mariner 12.5

Quote Originally Posted by PigPen View Post
    I wonder if I could make a hair brush with a non absorbent material to replace the yarn to get the same effect. Something like a extra big Estas.
    I was actually thinking the same thing. The trick will be getting a good wrap on the marabou.

Followup -- I tried. Indeed the Estaz takes a little more time to wrap on the marabou than the chenille. But it's doable:

IMG_0264.jpg

No doubt it will be a lighter fly than the original. But will it suspend enough to entice strikes? My guess is that it will require more manipulation than the standard tie.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-28-2017 at 11:06 AM.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

No doubt it will be a lighter fly than the original. But will it suspend enough to entice strikes? My guess is that it will require more manipulation than the standard tie.
    I wonder if just a little lead around the shank would help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget the red and white gurgler http://www.theanglersinn.com/whitefl...tegurgler.html
    Designed by Kelly White a guide on Potomac. Easy to tie VERY effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I was actually thinking the same thing. The trick will be getting a good wrap on the marabou.

Followup -- I tried. Indeed the Estaz takes a little more time to wrap on the marabou than the chenille. But it's doable:

IMG_0264.jpg

With the chenille, try tying a knot in it as I reverse th wrap up the body. It kind of worked. I Also have the knot some flexisoft to keep the wraps tight along the spine of thed lure. Might try some thin mono to try and lock down thdd tail section next time.
    PigPen - Mt Airy
    Native Mariner 12.5

Quote Originally Posted by On the fly View Post
    Don't forget the red and white gurgler http://www.theanglersinn.com/whitefl...tegurgler.html
    Designed by Kelly White a guide on Potomac. Easy to tie VERY effective.
    Harry,

I'll try that.

I caught this largemouth on a yellow gurgler last May in Trap Pond but believe it or not, I've never tossed a gurgler at a smallmouth.

P1020749.jpg
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com