X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to transport a kayak on sedan

Hi,

I finally got my first kayak, Revo 13.
    I was going to transport this on minivan, but I found that it's not quite easy to lift it up since most minivans are fairly tall. So, I think I might get a roof rack for my sedan (nissan versa), and other accessaries like saddles or so.
    I searched this forum and found useful info like this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBcPgDx5kJY

Along with this, something like Thule DockGlide seems to be a good option, but if there's cheaper options, I'd love to try.
    If you use a sedan to carry a kayak, could you share your setup?
    Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

Hi;
    I currently struggle with "J" carriers. My next system will be a Yakima boat loader with there round crossbars and saddles. This will be beneficial when I upgrade to a Hobie. Here is my yak on my Nissan Sentra prior to any modifications.
    IMG_3036.jpg

Comment

I used Handiracks which are inflatable denier nylon roof racks when I had my Toyota Camry. I also made a tennis ball slide mount that went on the hood and helped slide the kayak up to the roof. You can find the video by searching for tennis ball, suction cup kayak mount or something along those lines. This rig allowed me, a mid sixities guy with a bad back to put my Ocean Kayak Trident 13 on and off the roof.

I got a Tacoma after the computer failed on my 13 year old Camry so I don't need the racks anymore I still have the inflatable Handiracks and will part with them for $50 if you want them. They have been kept aired up in the house and are in great condition.
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

I have a sedan that I load my kayak(s) onto also. I can load a Revo 13,16, or an Outback pretty easily. I have a Thule roof rack system with square bars. Primarily, I use the Thule Roll-Model rack to get the yak up there, which I got discounted from Amazon for about $120 because it had a cosmetic defect. Instead of using the suction cup method on the boot of the car like the video you posted, I put a grommet in an old moving blanket which I attach to my roof rack with p-cord and a carabiner. Thule sells a slide mat, but it's too short for a sedan and the straps are junk. All I have to do is lift the bow of the kayak on the boot of the car and then push the yak onto the roll bar and secure it. I can make a video of how I do it if it helps you visualize it.
        J

Comment

I have a Yakima saddle setup for my yak (12' Native Ultimate) that I will be hauling on top of a VW Sportswagen. I purchased the following roller which can be suction cupped on the back rear window or roof. Haven't tried it yet so I can't give you a personal review, but it has lots of good reviews on amazon.

smithmal
          smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
          Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

Thank you all for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

Comment

Originally posted by Jman View Post
              I have a sedan that I load my kayak(s) onto also. I can load a Revo 13,16, or an Outback pretty easily. I have a Thule roof rack system with square bars. Primarily, I use the Thule Roll-Model rack to get the yak up there, which I got discounted from Amazon for about $120 because it had a cosmetic defect. Instead of using the suction cup method on the boot of the car like the video you posted, I put a grommet in an old moving blanket which I attach to my roof rack with p-cord and a carabiner. Thule sells a slide mat, but it's too short for a sedan and the straps are junk. All I have to do is lift the bow of the kayak on the boot of the car and then push the yak onto the roll bar and secure it. I can make a video of how I do it if it helps you visualize it.
              Yes if you can do that, I'd appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Daniel

Feelfree Lure 11.5

Comment

Does anyone use the Yakima Boat Loader? It looks pretty easy. $80. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeRQN2Jiurc

Comment

I use the Yakima Boat Loader on my Toyota 4Runner and really like it. I considered some of the options to load from the back but the rear spoiler looked like it would be in the way.

IMG_0957.jpg

Loading my Moken 12.5

Comment

Good morning!

I use Thule crossbars and J-racks (as well as a Rhino Rack fishing rod rack) on top of my 2007 Corolla. Just yesterday, I purchased a used Revo 13 and have no problem getting it up there, despite being chronologically challenged, if you know what I mean. In a couple of years, however, I'll probably look for an easier method of loading. I have a Thule Hullavator on my RAV4 for a tandem kayak my wife and I use. That will probably be my next move for the Corolla, plus longer crossbars, since they have to extend at least 4 inches beyond the boots for the Hullavator.
                    Jim McFalls
                    MSG US Army Retired
                    US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
                    2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
                    2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
                    Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
                    YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

Comment

Working...
                    X