Hit or Miss Severn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hit or Miss Severn

We've had some excellent reports coming from the mid-Severn in recent days. Congrats to yakscientist for his 29 incher and to Bruce for catching keepers in the mid-Severn. I can assure you I have covered the same areas they traveled during several outings in the past week or so. I have caught 12 to 14 inchers and only one legal striper during those outings. Kudos to them for finding the big fish. It's encouraging that bigger fish appear to be moving into the Jonas Green area, although their appearances are fleeting.

Today I had help covering the river. On the fly (Harry), Harlan, John Veil and Don Vance and I left no areas between the bridges uncovered -- east side, west side, in the middle and even north of the Route 50 Bridge. Together, thanks to John, we managed to catch one legal-sized striper. Ironically, John spent the least time on the water of any of us. Harlan got a respectable 18 incher and a couple of 15s.

Here is his 18 incher:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Notice Harlan changed the trebles on his Rat-L-Trap to single in-line hooks.

I had only one 12 inch striper to show for my efforts which I shook off in the water.

That was a lot of kayak angling experience and know-how attacking the Severn today and the big stripers, save one, managed to avoid us. I covered 8 miles by myself. I'm sure the other guys did comparable mileage.

Of course the perch aimed to please as always and we counted them in dozens. Today I had 3 dozen on a jig spinner. Some of the other guys also registered dozens of perch each. They gave us consistent action when the stripers did not.

We launched from Jonas between 0630 and 0700 to high water. John joined us perhaps 90 minutes to 2 hours later in the morning. Immediately noticeable was debris from last night's storm. The river had pockets of floating branches, grass, leaves and sadly, plastic garbage. At one point I accidentally ran over a partially submerged five gallon bucket.

Here's a look at some of the dirty water:

P1010820.jpg P1010828.jpg

I had a hard time keeping my jigs clean while trolling which indicated storm debris was churned up throughout the water column.

But the high water made for some great perch areas. Like this one:

P1010827.jpg

Perch love the shade and the grass. I nailed 10 in that one area, including one that was 11 inches.

So that's a summary of our Severn trip from Jonas Green today. Sometimes it's striper hot. Sometimes it's not.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Any day on the water beats a day in the office.

I'm living vicariously through your fishing reports, and thank for the photos.
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Glad to know I'm not the only one searching for keeper stripers. In addition to the shade I've been targeting perch in 5-9' of water around underwater edges. I seem to get a better quality fish from those deeper spots.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I had been sidelined for over two weeks with a bad back strain. I healed enough over the past week that I decided to try a short trip on the Severn. The other guys launched from Jonas Green, but I wanted to launch very close to the water's edge and chose Tucker St instead. Weems Creek was seriously stained from last night's heavy rain. It was the color of coffee with cream. I got no fish in Weems but found a few stripers, including a 20" fish in the main river. My experience with floating debris was different from Mark's. I checked my lures often but rarely had any debris on the lures.

I did not want to overdo things, so returned to the launch after only two hours. My trial run was successful -- I caught a few perch and stripers, and better yet -- my back held up well.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Glad things went okay today. Was wondering how the fishing would be after last nights rain.
          John Rentch
          Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
          Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

thank you for the report...

like mchottie, I'm also living vicariously through these report... still recovering from gout.
            2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by Seasalt View Post
              thank you for the report...

like mchottie, I'm also living vicariously through these report... still recovering from gout.
              Well...I hope the next time we can catch more stripers for you guys.

You deserve the pullage!
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                Weems Creek was seriously stained from last night's heavy rain. It was the color of coffee with cream.
                You aren't kidding. I had a job downtown this morning and was shocked at the color of Weems. I made sure to drive back the same way and have my camera ready.

Comment

Sounds like all the rains have changed things up a bit....
                  Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                  Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

wow, reminds me of a childhod favorite:

Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Weems Creek was considerably clearer today. I was surprised at how quickly the fine sediment settled out of the water, especially after last evening's hard rain.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                        Weems Creek was considerably clearer today. I was surprised at how quickly the fine sediment settled out of the water, especially after last evening's hard rain.
                        As a further update, Weems Creek and the river were considerably clearer today. I encountered no floating grass today. I made a short trip this morning and got a late start. The trolling bite was slow for me. I caught a few perch and a real pretty and fat pumpkinseed sunfish in a creek.

The most interesting thing I saw was a great blue heron standing on one of the concrete piling bases for the Rt 50 bridge. It was leaning over the water looking for a meal. The water there was much deeper than the usual standing depth of the heron's legs. I did not see it dive in but don't know how a heron fishes in deeper water.
                        John Veil
                        Annapolis

Comment

I went out today, and got 1215 rock fish. All 16 inches or less. No keepers. I'll be bringing out my perch rod next time. This is my third trip out with no keepers...... Bummer....

Best Regards,
                          Stan
                          Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
                            I went out today, and got 1215 rock fish. All 16 inches or less. No keepers. I'll be bringing out my perch rod next time. This is my third trip out with no keepers...... Bummer....

Best Regards,
                            Stan
                            I think I did either 4 or 5 trips without any keepers, and then I got my PB. I'm thinking you're about to have a pleasant surprise (but always have a 1/4oz jig with a 4" zman diezel minnow out just in case). You never know what can happen.

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post

Best Regards,
                              Stan
                              Pretty sure I saw you this morning... in the shallows further into little round bay in a red yak?? I was trolling out in Round Bay this morning and caught 5 total fish with one being a keeper at 22-1/4" and the rest being 15" to 19-15/16".

Comment

Working...
                              X