Catfish in the Severn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catfish in the Severn

While fishing on Saturday I found a nice dock to cast under and hooked a short striper, about 16 inches, and the next hookup fought much harder. Thinking I had a nice bass for the dinner table it turned out to be a nice channel cat. I kept fishing the same dock and managed 3 more, with the biggest pictured in this post. This one had a hook in its mouth attached to a hi-lo rig, so it broke someone off before it met me. Has anyone else come across big cats in the Severn?

IMG_1457.jpg

I caught a 22" under the Annapolis Bay Bridge a couple weeks ago. Very nice fillets off of it, I would enjoy catching a few more. I haven't ever pulled any out of Weems Creek or the structure at it's mouth though.

Comment

I caught a nice one in the magothy last summer while bottom fishing for perch and the ever elusive croaker. They're all over the bay tribs it seems, and yeah they put up a great fight that is often unexpected. I can't say I've gotten one out of the severn though, but it's good to know they're there.

Comment

That is a nice cat, I got one on the Potomac the other week and though I had a new PB smallie on the line for a moment.

Question, what is that rod in the upper right? Is that an ice fishing pole?
        Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
        Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Haha it is an ice fishing rod. I like to fish for perch with it under docks. I'll use either a jig or a blade bait and it gives me more room to cast and set the hook way up under the dock. I didn't get the cats on it. Don't think it could keep a big cat from cutting me off on the pylons.

Comment

Originally posted by BarefootPetr View Post
            Haha it is an ice fishing rod. I like to fish for perch with it under docks. I'll use either a jig or a blade bait and it gives me more room to cast and set the hook way up under the dock. I didn't get the cats on it. Don't think it could keep a big cat from cutting me off on the pylons.
            Hah, I bought one at a show with the same idea in mind but could never get any casting accuracy, I have a little 5' UL I use instead.
            Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
            Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Working...
            X