Mid Bay Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid Bay Report

First post here, just moved from California im 18 and have been fishing my enitre life, worked on fishing boats in California and starting to get a hang of the local style fishing. This website has been an amazing resource for techniques and even spots, really appreciate the community and everything I've learned from it. Anyways now for the report. I got out around 6 PM today, figured after the rains pass Id have some pretty decent conditions to take the Yaks out. When leaving the spot I put in at, I talked to a boat coming in that said there were some good fishing to be had under bird schools. Perfect, just like fishing back at home I thought to myself. A lot of the fishing we do in California is run and gun jumping from school to school of tuna fish. A little bit tougher if you're in a Kayak though. Wasn't long before I found some birds working a bait ball with crashing Rock and blues underneath in relatively shallow water too 8-12ft. It seemed like every time i'd slide up into them they'd sink out pretty quick. Time for a new game plan. I saw the fish were moving south so I decided to see if I could cut the school off and have them come to me instead. I setup in front of the school and slowly watched as the boils approached the kayak, within 5 minutes I had fish breaking all around the yak and any lure thrown would get bit almost instantly. I saw the fish were keyed on what looked like Chovy so I decided to throw a Lucky craft (Jerkbait that looks like a chovie). Fish would be on the lure before I could even turn the handle. Probably released over 30 rocks most being around 14-18 inches. I did get a few keepers[ATTACH=CONFIG]22030 two 21's and had to release a 25 I got later in the day on a spook. Bluefish were also mixed in the schools, got two of them around 17inches on a metal jig. Also a slab of a white perch on a beetle spin. Full speed fishing for a solid 2 hours in this zone, after the school I would be working sunk out Id just move to the next school not too far away. All this maybe a mile off the shore in shallow shallow water. Not going to give out exact spot but think poplar island and head west. If you guys need any more info feel free to PM. Also I'm looking for work around the Prince Frederick area possibly in a fishing related field. If anyone knows of any boats needing a deckhand or a tackle shop needing someone or really even anything at this point. Id appreciate it if you could let me know.

David
    Attached Files
    Last edited by fishlocker; 07-23-2017, 11:26 PM.

David,
    Great first report!! Welcome to the forum.

Question: Blue fish??? Where did you launch at?? I did not know that bluefish come-up to the mid Severn.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
      David,
      Great first report!! Welcome to the forum.

Question: Blue fish??? Where did you launch at?? I did not know that bluefish come-up to the mid Severn.

Best Regards,
      Stan
      Mid-Bay (chesapeake) not the severn river.

Looks to be east of deale / chesapeake beach - love it down there.
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Great report man, helluva first post. You should come out to some meet and greets, they're the 2nd Saturday of every month. That's where I've gotten a ton of tips, and while I am by no means an expert, I think I've improved greatly since I started kayak fishing in March of 2016.

Comment

Definitely going to have to come out to the next one. Meet the guys and hopefully catch some fish! I think next fish on the list is either speckled trout or snake heads.

Comment

Working...
          X