Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tog at CBBT

IMG_0856.jpgIMG_0855.jpg

I woke up early on Saturday morning to fish the CBBT around high tide for Sheepshead and Spades. When I launched the sun was just peeking out from the ocean. I pedaled past the 1st SBC and started dropping my fiddlers down in search of convicts. I caught a few croaker and some larger sea bass than I've caught previously out there (~10"), as well as some of the dreaded toads. I saw some breaking fish on the surface near here and guessed there were some bluefish in the mix. I put on a spoon and made a few casts and hooked into one about 16".

I decided to head to the area near the 2nd SBC pretty quick and caught similar fish. I lost a few rigs and when the current turned I thought I finally hooked my first sheep. Ended up being this beautiful 18.5" momma tog, which I released after a quick photo.IMG_0866.jpg

The current was swift at this point and I wanted to take a break, so I rested at first island and put on a spade rig. I caught a ton of small sea bass and some pigfish. I caught a larger sized triggerfish, which I kept. First time eating triggerfish and it was delicious. I had never cleaned one before and all I can say is that their skin is tough! On my way back from first island, I talked with a boater, who said they had caught a bunch of spades at 2nd island. IMG_0858.jpgIMG_0860.jpg

I think for Sheepshead, I need to try suspending my bait further off the bottom. I've been fishing for them like Tog, and I was reading that some will stay suspended around 10-15 feet down.
    J

Thanks for the report. I actually just put triggers right on the grill whole. I think they are fantastic that way.

Comment

Thanks for the report Jake!

Sounds like you are having a blast...
      2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Good Job!
        Glad that someone fish CBBT. CBBT looks good.
        Last week I caught a cobia at 29" off Buckroe Beach. I didn't post because it was the same story as the previous one - nothing new. I am still planning to fish for cobia until I get skunked for the first time this year. Somehow I caught at least one, 7 trips in a row this year.
        After the first skunk (probably this weekend), I will look for a new Specks and Puppy Drum spot for July- August in VA western shore.
        Anyway, did you see any cobia?
        I will Join you soon at CBBT

Joe
        Last edited by ComeOnFish; 07-26-2017, 09:59 AM.
        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Nice report! I hope to get back down to VA to fish the CBBT at least once in August/September.
          Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
            Good Job!
            Glad that someone fish CBBT. CBBT looks good.
            Last week I caught a cobia at 29" off Buckroe Beach. I didn't post because it was the same story as the previous one - nothing new. I am still planning to fish for cobia until I get skunked for the first time this year. Somehow I caught at least one, 7 trips in a row this year.
            After the first skunk (probably this weekend), I will look for a new Specks and Puppy Drum spot for July- August in VA western shore.
            Anyway, did you see any cobia?
            I will Join you soon at CBBT

Joe
            I've been enjoying your cobia reports. I don't know if I will target them this year, at least not until I catch my Sheep.

I've been following some spearfishing reports and a man caught a nice-sized Sheep about 20 pilings out from shore at the CBBT. Makes me doubt if I need to go out as far as I do.

I've seen one cobia on both trips just past the 2nd SBC. Both times the cobia was against the piling closest to the Bayside, but on the ocean-side bridge span.
            J

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
              Nice report! I hope to get back down to VA to fish the CBBT at least once in August/September.
              Thanks! My schedule is opening up this month, so I'm hoping to get on the water a bit more. I've got plans for OBX and Kiptopeke in August and then hitting the bridge as much as possible in between.
              J

Comment

I'm not sure if suspending higher up is the best strategy or not for cbbt sheepshead. On my trip this week, two of them hit on the bottom. On the other hand, I could feel another one of them chasing my bait from maybe 5 foot all the way down and then I set the hook after I felt the grinding going on. If you feel something grinding the bait, just swing on it. They seem to just grind the bait off the hook, unlike tog or even trigger which usually tap it pretty hard. Little bsb actually feel somewhat similar to sheep, the bite is so subtle.

Comment

Working...
                X