Lots of small red drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of small red drum

I've fished the last two days in St Mary's looking for perch and croaker. Been finding hundreds of perch and a few croaker but the real pleasant surprise has been three juvenile red drum in those two days in maybe 3 hours of bottom bouncing white Gulp looking for croaker (can't keep the perch off it long enough for croaker to find it). In fact I've caught more drum than croaker. This is a very encouraging sign for future years.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
    I've fished the last two days in St Mary's looking for perch and croaker. Been finding hundreds of perch and a few croaker but the real pleasant surprise has been three juvenile red drum in those two days in maybe 3 hours of bottom bouncing white Gulp looking for croaker (can't keep the perch off it long enough for croaker to find it). In fact I've caught more drum than croaker. This is a very encouraging sign for future years.
    What size are the croaker you have found. I have been wanting to target them but I haven't heard good reports about catching there I'm willing to make the drive but I'm not sure they are there in large numbers.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

Seeking is not finding. I've only picked up two so far, big of 11". I haven't heard any reliable reports of them being in heavy yet. Perhaps a couple more weeks.
      Mike

Comment

My reports tell me the same. Please let us know when they arrive. Don't you fish with Yak67 sometimes? I think he has mentioned fishing with you to me.

Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

Yak 67 is my brother from another mother. We fish a lot together. He's been sidelined with a bad wheel last few weeks and we're both chomping at the bit to fish together again. He can only live vicariously through me so long.
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
            Yak 67 is my brother from another mother. We fish a lot together. He's been sidelined with a bad wheel last few weeks and we're both chomping at the bit to fish together again. He can only live vicariously through me so long.
            We have fished together as well. He's a good guy. When he gets off IR perhaps I can drive down with him and we can get after them. I have yet to fish that area of MD from my boat.

Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

That's cool that you are finding some puppy drum. I rem a few years back when they were plentiful one summer but very small. I was catching them as far up as the Mattawoman by dropping jigs tipped with a worm.

Comment

Working...
              X