• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally, track mounted rod holders that won't rotate

2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Very cool stuff...

I wonder if there is any extender for the rod holders.... only if their prices are lower...
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

With all due respect to Yak Attack, which is an innovative company, I posted a solution to this issue over two years ago. http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ht=Scotty+base

I use all Scotty products. Instead of using rotating bases on the gear tracks of my pedal kayak, I used track slugs to attach regular Scotty bases, then set Scotty rod holders into the bases. These eliminate any rotation after a fish is hooked. I use this system with extenders on my Slayer Propel 10.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
        With all due respect to Yak Attack, which is an innovative company, I posted a solution to this issue over two years ago. http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...ht=Scotty+base

I use all Scotty products. Instead of using rotating bases on the gear tracks of my pedal kayak, I used track slugs to attach regular Scotty bases, then set Scotty rod holders into the bases. These eliminate any rotation after a fish is hooked. I use this system with extenders on my Slayer Propel 10.
        Agree 100% John. YakAttack makes some great products, but I prefer Scotty mounts to hold any trolling rods that I may be using. Here is a similar example to your setup that I had on my old Revo - works great.
        IMG_2420.jpg
        On my current Outback, I kept the same idea, but I put the Gear-Trac/Scotty combos even with my hips. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of that setup.
        -manny

Hobie Outback
        Wilderness Systems 130T
        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I have all Scotty stuff now and it's the one thing I wish they would improve upon. While you're solution works for some, it doesn't work for others including myself. My tracks are mounted low in the side cutouts which doesn't leave enough room for the larger bases. If I could do it again I would forget tracks and use flush mount holders like I did on my older boat, or just use the provided bases. I guarantee Scotty is aware of their current offerings failures and will soon provide a better solution.
          2015 Hobie Outback
          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
            I have all Scotty stuff now and it's the one thing I wish they would improve upon. While you're solution works for some, it doesn't work for others including myself. My tracks are mounted low in the side cutouts which doesn't leave enough room for the larger bases. If I could do it again I would forget tracks and use flush mount holders like I did on my older boat, or just use the provided bases. I guarantee Scotty is aware of their current offerings failures and will soon provide a better solution.
            John,

If you are trying to mount the holders in the cutouts that come with your Outback, this is what I did with mine. Sorry, these are the best pics I have available to me right now but hopefully you get the idea.

IMG_0557.jpg

In the picture above, there is a Gear-Trac down in the cutout, a Yak Attack Scotty adapter is on the Gear-Trac, and lastly the Scotty rod holder mount is on the adapter. The Scotty rocket launchers are facing to the rear for transport.

The picture below is grainy, but if you look above the "H" in "Hobie" (above and forward of the paddle handle) you can just barely make out the hole at the top of the rocket launcher. (The rocket launcher has a removable green light I use when I launch before sunrise)

IMG_0558.jpg

Hope this helps or at least gives you some other ideas to consider. I can see about getting you a more detailed picture of the trac inside the cutout if this is something you are interested in.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by baitball; 07-22-2017, 01:41 PM.
            -manny

Hobie Outback
            Wilderness Systems 130T
            Hobie Outfitter

Comment

I have mine setup different than you do, but thanks for the recommendation.
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Working...
              X