Rod and Reel Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod and Reel Questions

I have been slowly getting things setup the way I want. I bought a Diawa BG 2500 and put it on an Ugly Stik GX2 medium/heavy action rod. I like it very much. My second setup is an Abu Garcia 2500 rod/reel combo on a medium action I picked up at Gander.....seems like a decent setup so far.

But I want another rod and reel setup to take with me. I was thinking about going with the Diawa BG 1500 and putting it on an ultra light Ugly Stik Elite rod. I would use it mainly for small 1/8 oz jigs and spinners for white perch and pan fish.

What are your thoughts?
    Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 14

Sounds good to me. I have some 1000 and 500 size reels on ultralight rods I use for perch and other panfish. I used my ultralight Saturday to catch more than a dozen 10 to 13" smallies and a 22 and a 24" rock.srock.jpg

Comment

My set uptony.jpg

Comment

What is that lure Mike o?

Comment

Originally posted by jeepdawg View Post
          I was thinking about going with the Diawa BG 1500 and putting it on an ultra light Ugly Stik Elite rod. I would use it mainly for small 1/8 oz jigs and spinners for white perch and pan fish.

What are your thoughts?
          I think that setup is perfect, you'll have a blast. I really like the BG, it will hold up well to any surprise large fish while perch fishing.
          Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

Mostly I use 2500 sized spinning reels for my kayak fishing on 6.5 foot light rods. I can land anything I target on them with lures from 1/8 oz. to 1/4 oz. These combos are big enough to handle the legal stripers I catch (no cows of course) and small enough to let a 10 inch perch show off.

I use the same sized reels on medium light 6.5 foot rods for trolling mainly because I use heavier lures when trolling. Again I'm not catching cow stripers with them but I have tangled with cow nose rays before breaking the rays off and cross my fingers, I have not broken a rod yet.

I have an ultra-light combo but I rarely use it. The primary reason is that my ultra-light rod is only 5.5 feet long and I find for kayak fishing a longer rod is better for controlling my catches -- guiding them in front of the bow from one side of the boat to the other, for example. I imagine ultra-light rods come in longer lengths, but I'm so comfortable with the above gear that I haven't looked for a longer ultra-light.

So, my advice to you jeepdawg, is to consider the length of the ultra-light rod you are thinking about and make sure it is long enough for kayak fishing.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
              Yellow feather Pet Spoon

Comment

Here some rods that I like:

B'n'M 6-Feet 5-Inch 2 Piece 100% Bucks Graphite Spin Rod:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Berkley Lightning Rod Spinning

Fenwick HMX 2-Piece Moderate Spinning Rod (10-Feet 6-Inch, Extra Light)

Lamiglas Excel Bass Medium Action Graphite Spinning Rod-1 Piece (XL 663S, 6-Feet/6-Inch)

Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                  Yes, it is an imitation Tony pet spoon that my friend makes. He sells them for about half of what a pet spoon sells for and they work just as well.

Comment

Thank you everyone for all the feedback. I am still not sure if I want a light or ultra light rod......I think I'll wait it out and see what the future dictates.
                    Jackson Big Tuna
                    Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

I have a 6' light weight crappie rod from bass pro that I use for everything from white perch on the bay to Potomac smallies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X