Rock FIsh In the Mid-Severn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock FIsh In the Mid-Severn

For the past two time out in the mid-Severn, my Rock Fish catch has been dwindling:

July 6th: Rainy weather. Launched 05:30; High Tide 4:40 AM
    -- Result; Fished till 10:00. Got two Rock fish in the last 30 minutes. Biggest 18".

Today (July 20): Weather: Clear and warm; High Tide 3:30 AM
    - Result: Skunked.

This is the first time that I've been skunked in the Mid-Severn this year. Looking at the my last two times out, it seems that the Rock fish are getting thinner. SO, I am thinking that I might need to try fishing something else, besides Rock Fish?

** SO, my question: Is it time to start to target something else: Maybe Perch?? Or should I launch at Sandy Point and go for Blue fish??? In other words, the Rockfish have gone deep in the Bay--and it's time to target something else??

Thanks
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

I would just switch up locations and tactics, and keep at them. Maybe give Anglers sportscenter a call, or stop in? They have a few kayakers on their staff, and they are usually fairly helpful. I can certainly relate to not getting any keepers, though I have been catching a ton of undersize fish. All my keepers came in the weeks leading up to the summer season (June 1). Well when I say keepers, I mean 20"+ fish that would've been good starting July 1, but were of course released at the time. I like to troll for 2-3 hours for rockfish, and then for the last hour or so, if it appears I won't be getting any keepers, just use my smaller 1/4oz jig/paddletail combo and slow troll close to shore for big perch. You could bring along some razor clams, worms, spinners, etc and really comb the docks across from Jonas green, and all along the severn. I have also found a ton of big perch in little round bay, and also along rockpiles. You may have to weed through a bunch of small ones, but I like to keep 5-10 perch above 10." IMO that size and up is worth filleting, and they're delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
      For the past two time out in the mid-Severn, my Rock Fish catch has been dwindling:

July 6th: Rainy weather. Launched 05:30; High Tide 4:40 AM
      -- Result; Fished till 10:00. Got two Rock fish in the last 30 minutes. Biggest 18".

Today (July 20): Weather: Clear and warm; High Tide 3:30 AM
      - Result: Skunked.

This is the first time that I've been skunked in the Mid-Severn this year. Looking at the my last two times out, it seems that the Rock fish are getting thinner. SO, I am thinking that I might need to try fishing something else, besides Rock Fish?

** SO, my question: Is it time to start to target something else: Maybe Perch?? Or should I launch at Sandy Point and go for Blue fish??? In other words, the Rockfish have gone deep in the Bay--and it's time to target something else??

Thanks
      Stan
      That's a negative, Stan. They must have just left your main route for a little while. Sometimes you will have to put some miles on your vessel and search for them. Most of the time they are still in the general area and maybe even at different depths than what you're trying.

I have put many miles on my board in search of these guys and can usually find them within a couple of days if they leave an area that has done well previously. In this case I found them on the Severna Park side of Round Bay while trying to follow the shoreline drop offs.

Here's a few shots from this mornings bounty. I caught tons of dinks and just unders. I released 6 keepers sized rock and came home limited with a 20-1/4" and a 21-1/2.

What time did you get out there?? I was out there between 5:10am-7:00am. I'm surprised I didn't see ya.

Comment

I concur with Supfisher01. I had a good day on the Severn this morning. The fish are there but they make you look for them. I also found them along the ledges where there were anomalies in the contour lines. I covered a decent amount of ground and only found fish in 2 concentrated spots. I pulled 19 fish, 6 of which were keepers, up to 23 inches.
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Yak: Good point. I'll start doing that. If I get skunked, I'll start to troll the shore for perch.

Steve: Ha! You continue to make me drool...... I've got three keepers this year, but I have so far to improve. Again, thanks for your help.

Steve and Bruce: This is exactly what I wanted to hear:
          -- Stop looking in the spot that *WAS* productive
          -- And secondly, where to start looking at.

One question, How do you guys do timing? Like if you launch and hit a spot at dawn, and there is no Rock Fish there, can you assume they will not show up later in the same morning?? Or do you need to keep trying the *ALL* spots, since they might show up later in the morning????

What I am thinking of doing, is making a circuit in Round Bay, then if I have time do it a second time. Does that make sense???

Thanks,
          Stan

Comment

...If I get skunked, I'll start to troll the shore for perch.
            Stan,

I assume by "troll" you meant traveling to a location. While you can catch perch trolling, you'll do better casting. Right now Severn perch are begging to be caught. Once you find them, if you merely dangle your lure over the side of your kayak they'll hit it.

They are everywhere you can imagine, tight to shore in 2 to 3 feet of water.

I prefer fishing riprap. Add shade to structure and the perch will keep you busy for hours.

As Shady noted here recently, slow your retrieves. I know that defies logic in our warm waters but at the moment perch clearly show a preference for slow moving or even stationary lures.

Spinners of various sorts, twister tails, Clouser Minnows -- perch aren't picky right now.

Lastly, I fish for perch even when I'm not skunked for stripers. I'll bring a perch rod and finish my outing targeting perch. I like to think it's good luck to catch a fish on my final cast of the day. Perch are more likely than stripers to play to my superstition.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

One question, How do you guys do timing? Like if you launch and hit a spot at dawn, and there is no Rock Fish there, can you assume they will not show up later in the same morning?? Or do you need to keep trying the *ALL* spots, since they might show up later in the morning????

What I am thinking of doing, is making a circuit in Round Bay, then if I have time do it a second time. Does that make sense???
              The tide can have a lot to do with how the fish are biting. If you launch at dawn to a dead tide and aren't finding fish in your previous hot spot, it may certainly be worth coming back to later when the tide is moving if you haven't found them elsewhere. Especially if the spot has good structure for the fish to hold on, vs. an open water spot where they may have just been chasing bait.
              Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Current and structure dictate where and when i will hit a spot. I will most definitely come back to an area that had been barren if those variable are solid but the tide has changed. I also move between targeted areas (that I have identified on charts before ever hitting the water) to see where the fish might be hanging on any given day.
                Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Heee... Haaa..... I'm ready to go back out Thursday, armed with lots more knowledge. You guys are going to get me out of the 'fisherman in training' category yet.... :-)

I could not sleep last night (e.g. dreaming of keeper rock fish), so I started hooking up my fish-finder. This should help me Thursday.

My fishing season ends August 28th (that is when I'm scheduled for hip-replacement surgery). I wanted to have at least 3 months to get my strength back before winter comes (in case I slip and fall on snow or ice). ..... Getting old is not for sissy's.........

Steve: I'll look for you Thursday...

Best Regards,
                  Stan

Comment

Best of luck on your surgery Stan!

There's never a good time for an operation but you should be good to chase those 2018 spring stripers armed with a better hip and a lot more knowledge of how to catch them.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                    X