Kayak Umbrella Shade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Umbrella Shade

Has any one ever used an umbrella for shade on their kayak?? Here is one that goes on the seat and is only $20 bucks at Wal-Mart, Target and Amazon. Just thinking a little shade on those 100 degree sunny days would be nice. Added bonus, would make you more visible. Tell me what you think,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YsXqGFLgJSU
    Last edited by Steve6902; 07-19-2017, 10:17 PM. Reason: Grammar
    2017 Hobie PA14

What I question using an umbrella is what happens when one is out there and a 30mph wind comes up out of nowhere within seconds like it did on us Saturday the 8th. The weather was nice there was no prediction of significant wind. There would have been no way to get an umbrella down in time and to me having something like that up could have been a big problem.

Comment

I don't care for the umbrella but I like his kayak.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I like the thought of it, but I'm in the mode of reducing things that I can get line or pole entangled in. I also wonder how much more drift it would cause in our never ceasing breezes on the bay. Nice idea for a lake perhaps. For now I'll stick to quick drying long sleeves, long pants, water socks, kayak gloves, big hat and soon to be tried face mask. That doesn't replace cooling shade, but it should eliminate the need for sunscreen.

Comment

Ive tried it but didn't care for it. Used it for my son. Unless youre planning on taking a break a relax in the shade for a bit, I cant recommend it. Gets in the way of both paddling (not so much an issue for the pedal guys) and casting, not to mention sight lines. One bonus is the last time we tried it, after we were done fishing and heading back to the launch, there was a nice tailwind. We held the umbrella out and used it as a sail for a paddle free return to port!
          "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
          Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

20170716_092533.jpg20170716_092533.jpg

Comment

Get long sleeve shirt and pants in breathable material and a wide brim hat if you want sun protection. That umbrella will just be a PITA sail if any wind come up at all and the angle of the sun can make it partially useless anyways.
              "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Working...
              X