No announcement yet.

Kayak Accident Video (Hobie Pro Angler)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Accident Video (Hobie Pro Angler)

Just ran across this video and found it pretty disturbing and troubling - especially being at night time. Have you guys seen this video?

Apparently, the guy who flipped told his side of the story on this forum: http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=23475

Few things that I have noted are:
    1. Over confident on his ability
    2. Ignored the actual weather conditions - bad judgement call
    3. Inflatable PFD was used for comfort and seem to made it difficult to get back in the boat
    4. Pro Angler is harder to flip back and may require a ladder

In the end, the person who went through this ordeal said, "It wasn't worth it."

Last edited by Seasalt; 07-19-2017, 03:32 PM.
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Thanks for sharing. My brother drowned, and I am super cautious on the water. I have tried flipping a kayak and then flipping it back; followed by getting back in. But, still I am very careful.

My bother was a powerful swimmer, that is why he died (He was over confident). Sometimes, not respecting the risks is the real danger.

Thanks for sharing.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
      Thanks for sharing. My brother drowned, and I am super cautious on the water. I have tried flipping a kayak and then flipping it back; followed by getting back in. But, still I am very careful.

My bother was a powerful swimmer, that is why he died (He was over confident). Sometimes, not respecting the risks is the real danger.

Thanks for sharing.

Best Regards,
      Stan
      Sorry to hear about your brother Stan.

The video itself is one of the more terrifying actual footage that was captured. He was really lucky to be alive.

Most notable things were the possible dangers of an inflatable PFDs and how hard it might be to flip a bigger kayak in water....
      2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I've been swimming twice while kayaking.

First time was on the Potomac; white water between Great Falls and Little Falls. I got flipped in flood stage +9 feet water, early spring...it sucked bad...I could not get rolled back up; so I "punched out". Luckily I was with a couple strangers that I launched with and they stayed with me until I got to shore. No way to do a self rescue in that situation....I could have abandoned the kayak and paddle and swam to shore, but I really didn't want to lose my boat or paddle.

Second time, I was three miles from the launch, out by Thomas Point Light House and fell off my Outback (leaned over too far to one side), got back in like a penguin back on the iceberg....I might have been in the water for 5 or ten seconds. That time the kayak did not flip. Wearing a PDF helped both times...same one actually.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

That's definitely a scary one. There is a interesting subtext to the story if you read through the comments on the forums where the story and video were posted. I think the subtext points out one of the greatest dangers and makes me fear for the the guys future safety. I'll try to make a long story short.

1. The guy in the water posts on a forum his story as to how he almost drowned and gives credit to his friend in the other kayak that didn't really appear to be of much help in the video and gives no credit to the diver that had helped him tremendously. He also mentions in this post that he many mant times he does not wear a PFD but with him being a wise fellow he had decided to wear one that night.
          2. The diver meanwhile post his video and story in another forum and gets much deserved credit from his peers for helping the kayaker.
          3. The kayaker feels the need and to come over to the diver's forum and I guess in some misplaced need to save face posts this comment "I give rick credit for coming over and trying to help out where he could, he stood by and helped out with holding onto my pfd and waders. The fact is he did not save my life.... he didn't have to, but he could have if I was in serious trouble. The fact is "I" righted my kayak, and "I" climbed back on. Let's not forget Jorge was there too. What saved me is simply being prepared. Having the right tools in the right place and having trained myself for just such a situation. Like Jorge said there are no heros here, everybody did what they were supposed to do, and stood by ready to help if needed." (Take note I did not bold the the two "I"s, they were bolded in his response as if they were the most important part of the situation.)

I'm going to pray not but theorize that this guy gets himself in trouble again. Arrogance, the lack of foresight and the inability to learn a hard lesson can be just as dangerous as equipment malfunctions. Life and death situations are not a place where egos should gain priority and living and learning from grievous mistakes is a prerequisite for any kind of safety. Be humble and think things through carefully and be safe. A Navy SEAL just died a few months back(no pfd) and I'm quite sure he was much more physically capable than most of us on here.

Comment

Always wear your PFD, enough said.
            2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
              That's definitely a scary one. There is a interesting subtext to the story if you read through the comments on the forums where the story and video were posted. I think the subtext points out one of the greatest dangers and makes me fear for the the guys future safety. I'll try to make a long story short.

1. The guy in the water posts on a forum his story as to how he almost drowned and gives credit to his friend in the other kayak that didn't really appear to be of much help in the video and gives no credit to the diver that had helped him tremendously. He also mentions in this post that he many mant times he does not wear a PFD but with him being a wise fellow he had decided to wear one that night.
              2. The diver meanwhile post his video and story in another forum and gets much deserved credit from his peers for helping the kayaker.
              3. The kayaker feels the need and to come over to the diver's forum and I guess in some misplaced need to save face posts this comment "I give rick credit for coming over and trying to help out where he could, he stood by and helped out with holding onto my pfd and waders. The fact is he did not save my life.... he didn't have to, but he could have if I was in serious trouble. The fact is "I" righted my kayak, and "I" climbed back on. Let's not forget Jorge was there too. What saved me is simply being prepared. Having the right tools in the right place and having trained myself for just such a situation. Like Jorge said there are no heros here, everybody did what they were supposed to do, and stood by ready to help if needed." (Take note I did not bold the the two "I"s, they were bolded in his response as if they were the most important part of the situation.)

I'm going to pray not but theorize that this guy gets himself in trouble again. Arrogance, the lack of foresight and the inability to learn a hard lesson can be just as dangerous as equipment malfunctions. Life and death situations are not a place where egos should gain priority and living and learning from grievous mistakes is a prerequisite for any kind of safety. Be humble and think things through carefully and be safe. A Navy SEAL just died a few months back(no pfd) and I'm quite sure he was much more physically capable than most of us on here.
              Amen to that!

Also, that inflatable PFD looks very unhelpful in a self-rescue to the kayak...

2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by Seasalt View Post
                Amen to that!

Also, that inflatable PFD looks very unhelpful in a self-rescue to the kayak...
                My wife uses one and we are having second thoughts. I'd almost think it would be better as once you get your head over the side you have nothing across the chest in the way but it's something to consider and maybe test out. Bad thing with testing, the recharge kits are $20 something a pop.

Still kind of stunned by the guys arrogance about the whole thing. He appeared to be in dire straights and he may have been in big trouble if the diver had not showed up. To not take some lesson from that and think he had saved himself shows a serious lack of judgement.

Comment

Working...
                X