60 miles off shore....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by supfisher01 View Post
    Yes, yes it is. Only thing holding me back is the price tag but if I can find one used for a fraction of the price then I'll be all over it!
    I love the bait well and adventure box accessories too. These guys are definitely unique and innovative.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
      I love the bait well and adventure box accessories too. These guys are definitely unique and innovative.
      Tell me about it! I've had my eye on these boards for quite some time. I have always been able to make out just fine with the board I currently use but man it would be nice....

Comment

This can be a wonderful opportunity to get to places where you could not normally take a kayak. As noted by previous commenters, there are a few companies that do mothership trips offshore and elsewhere. When things go well, it is a memorable experience.

A few years ago, four of us arranged for a mothership trip on the lower Eastern Shore to go out to a barrier island. The captain had never tried this before and had not made any arrangements for storing kayaks and gear during the ride from the ramp to a barrier island. He dropped off his boat and trailer the day before at our apartment and told us to load our kayaks on our own.

All went well on the way out. We agreed to meet the captain at another beach several hours later. Unfortunately a storm came up. The strong winds built big waves such that the boat was unable to get near the beach. We needed to load all the gear in water too deep to stand. This was definitely a challenge. In the process, one guy in our group lost an expensive piece of equipment from his kayak.

I recommend to those who want to try a mothership trip to consider the following:

1) Is the captain experienced at carrying, unloading, and loading kayaks in open water?
        2) Is the boat fitted out with appropriate kayak and gear storage/tie down facilities?
        3) If you will exit the boat and re-enter it in water deeper than your head, are you physically able to accomplish this quickly?
        4) If a large fish or wave causes you to fall out of your kayak, are you confident that you can get back in the kayak quickly?
        5) Does the captain have a mate or helper on board to assist in getting people and kayaks on and off?
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Looks beautiful out there when it is glassy like that.
          I'm too scared to be bobbing around in the ocean out that far. haha
          That's a cool looking paddle boat/board/thingy.

Comment

I was one of the 6 guys out there yesterday. I have to thank the guys from Delaware Paddle Sports for putting that together.

The fish in question wasn't landed. The guys rod broke and then the line snapped. I would guess he was towed about a mile from where he hooked up to his final position where he lost the fish and was probably fighting it for close to an hour. He was fighting him with his drive in reverse to slow him down and try to pull him away from people's anchor lines.
            '
            Fishing wasn't great yesterday but I'm definitely going to do it again in the future. I only saw one boat hooked up around us yesterday so fishing was down compared to the reports I was getting the couple days prior from an small boat email chain I'm on. The only fish we landed was a small tiger shark that my buddy had. I grabbed the leader and cut it off near his mouth with my knife. He already had someone else's leader sticking out of his mouth so he was caught before.

Here's a few pics I took yesterday.

1980 Something Old Town Canoe
            2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
            2015 Coosa HD
            2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
            2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Originally posted by willf650 View Post
              I was one of the 6 guys out there yesterday. I have to thank the guys from Delaware Paddle Sports for putting that together.

The fish in question wasn't landed. The guys rod broke and then the line snapped. I would guess he was towed about a mile from where he hooked up to his final position where he lost the fish and was probably fighting it for close to an hour. He was fighting him with his drive in reverse to slow him down and try to pull him away from people's anchor lines.
              '
              Fishing wasn't great yesterday but I'm definitely going to do it again in the future. I only saw one boat hooked up around us yesterday so fishing was down compared to the reports I was getting the couple days prior from an small boat email chain I'm on. The only fish we landed was a small tiger shark that my buddy had. I grabbed the leader and cut it off near his mouth with my knife. He already had someone else's leader sticking out of his mouth so he was caught before.

Here's a few pics I took yesterday.

Nice! I knew one of you had to be on Snagged and would probably see this. Haha!

Sorry to hear about the lack of success for you guys. Too bad the fishing wasn't as great as the reports claimed. I did see a few boats land fish but they were far and few between.

You guys did pick a one hell of a day to get out there though, it was beautiful!
              Last edited by supfisher01; 07-19-2017, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Yup, did this last year through DPS, we had 4 hook ups only one bull dolphin landed and suspected 3 yellows lost.
                As an older guy, this was on my buck list. I did it and loved it. Loading at 3:00am and returning home at 7:00pm. This trip is only for the experienced fisher who can endure. All I can say is I returned in some pain, alive and have memories that will last a life time.
                Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

It was a fun trip. The highlights for me were when a whale popped up and swam past me about 30' away. I also had a shark fin pop up and swim past me about 50' away. It may have been the same shark my buddy caught but the fin appeared larger to me than the one I cut the leader on when I was within arms reach of him.

Unfortunately I didn't have the camera out when either of those events happened. It's a neat feeling going past a million dollar sport fishing boat in your kayak and trying to catch the same fish he is.
                  2015 Coosa HD

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                    Yup, did this last year through DPS, we had 4 hook ups only one bull dolphin landed and suspected 3 yellows lost.
                    As an older guy, this was on my buck list. I did it and loved it. Loading at 3:00am and returning home at 7:00pm. This trip is only for the experienced fisher who can endure. All I can say is I returned in some pain, alive and have memories that will last a life time.
                    I was so tired yesterday I slept on the boat ride in and it's not a quite boat by any stretch of the word. We left at around midnight and were back at the house about 10pm the following day. Both my buddy and I tried to be a sleep by 5 pm the night before but we were so amped up we only slept till about 8 pm so we were running on 2-3 hrs sleep.
                    2015 Coosa HD

Comment

The boat in the back ground in this pic is the "Obsession". We were anchored about 150 yards behind him in a 29 foot Regulator. Our jaws dropped when we saw you guys pass by hooked up to a fish. Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by supfisher01 View Post
                        That's awesome!

If I ever decide to upgrade, I'll be going with this catamaran hull made by L2fish. Very stable, light, fast, and high weight capacity.
                        Wow!! Very nice.
                        Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

For those offshore guys here.... I made it back out there on a different buddy's boat in search of a tuna bite and finally found what we were looking for!

Friday we came home with a 45lb and a 50lb yft.
                          Saturday we came home home with one 40lb yft.

All fish were caught anchored, on the chunk, and in 110 fow.

Comment

Working...
                          X