60 miles off shore....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 miles off shore....

Sorry this isn't a report from a man powered vessel but I thought you guys would appreciate this.

I went offshore fishing yesterday out of Indian River Marina Delaware on a 29ft center console. We ran about 60 miles out on a very calm and surprisingly glassy ocean. As we were setting anchor we came across a couple kayakers. KAYAKERS??!!! 60 miles off shore??!!! And as if that wasn't shocking enough, the red kayak was hooked up to a fish! He was being towed away by whatever was on the end of the line but for the 5 minutes that we watched, we were all cheering for him.

So, while the other 3 guys on the boat we're cheering, I started to itch my head, wondering how in the hell the kayakers made it out this far off shore. I asked my buddy and he said there is a charter that loads kayakers in his boat and drops them in the middle of the ocean for them to catch fish. So if there are any takers out there, you have a way of catching big ocean game now as well!

Can't really tell much from the picture but it was an awesome sight in person.

some things are beyond my comprehension, and this is one of them.....

Comment

Hell Yeah! I'm in. Who's driving?
      Gregory
      ​Ain't Misbehavin'
      2014 Pro Angler 12
      '

Comment

Probably the Fish Whisperer. I went out with them a couple years ago, super fun!
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
          Probably the Fish Whisperer. I went out with them a couple years ago, super fun!
          My buddy told me they were a charter out of the same marina we left out of (Indian River Marina). Is this were the "Fish Whisperer" keeps his boat?

Comment

Originally posted by supfisher01 View Post
            My buddy told me they were a charter out of the same marina we left out of (Indian River Marina). Is this were the "Fish Whisperer" keeps his boat?
            That's the name of the charter actually, the boat name is "Wreckaholic", and yes they are out of Indian River. DPS sponsors several of these trips each year, some offshore for pelagic species and others closer to port over wrecks.
            2015 Hobie Outback
            2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

That's the name of the charter actually, the boat name is "Wreckaholic", and yes they are out of Indian River. DPS sponsors several of these trips each year, some offshore for pelagic species and others closer to port over wrecks.
              Gotcha. Didn't even know this was a thing....besides the Pacific Warriors that peddle/paddle themselves out to the grounds.

Comment

Gotcha. Didn't even know this was a thing....besides the Pacific Warriors that peddle/paddle themselves out to the grounds.
                It's called mothershipping. I think the trip I took was about $300 per kayak. He can fit 8 per trip. We mostly were "chunking" within eyesight of the mothership, which was needed fairly frequently to replenish bait. I only caught one small Mahi, but several bigger ones were boated and one 40 lb tuna got turned into sashimi. It was a slow day, but your odds definitely go up spreading out like that. The guys that did catch some larger fish had a great day.
                2015 Hobie Outback
                2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

It's called mothershipping. I think the trip I took was about $300 per kayak. He can fit 8 per trip. We mostly were "chunking" within eyesight of the mothership, which was needed fairly frequently to replenish bait. I only caught one small Mahi, but several bigger ones were boated and one 40 lb tuna got turned into sashimi. It was a slow day, but your odds definitely go up spreading out like that. The guys that did catch some larger fish had a great day.
                  This is awesome and would love to try it out one day but until I upgrade my board I will have to restrict myself to the bay and rivers.

Comment

How did you guys do, fishing wise? And did you ever see the kayaker boat the mystery fish?

Comment

Stand-Up-Paddle-Board-Fishing.jpg

This should be the next step for you!

Most everyone was in a Hobie Outback, but I actually tried a Revo that day and loved it. The one guy that caught (2) 30 lb+ Mahi plus many shorter ones was in a tandem Oasis. He had the best setup since he could haul so much more bait and out of the way. For what we were doing a peddle drive really wasn't necessary, there were a couple paddlers in the mix too. The one tuna that was caught probably "sleigh ride" the lucky fisherman for 45 minutes.
                      2015 Hobie Outback
                      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                        How did you guys do, fishing wise? And did you ever see the kayaker boat the mystery fish?
                        We came home with a big ol' skunk, although there were other boats, kayaks included, that were hooking up. We were anchored and chunking all day without even a bite but I have high hopes for this weekend when I go back out on another buddies boat but trolling instead of chunking.

We didn't see what kind of fish or if they landed the fish at all.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21997[/ATTACH]

This should be the next step for you!

Most everyone was in a Hobie Outback, but I actually tried a Revo that day and loved it. The one guy that caught (2) 30 lb+ Mahi plus many shorter ones was in a tandem Oasis. He had the best setup since he could haul so much more bait and out of the way. For what we were doing a peddle drive really wasn't necessary, there were a couple paddlers in the mix too. The one tuna that was caught probably "sleigh ride" the lucky fisherman for 45 minutes.
                          That's awesome!

If I ever decide to upgrade, I'll be going with this catamaran hull made by L2fish. Very stable, light, fast, and high weight capacity.

Comment

That's awesome!

If I ever decide to upgrade, I'll be going with this catamaran hull made by L2fish. Very stable, light, fast, and high weight capacity.
                            That is super cool. It's like the aircraft carrier of SUP.
                            2015 Hobie Outback
                            2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

That is super cool. It's like the aircraft carrier of SUP.
                              Yes, yes it is. Only thing holding me back is the price tag but if I can find one used for a fraction of the price then I'll be all over it!

Comment

Working...
                              X