Point lookout 7/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point lookout 7/17

I hooked up with Ron this morning to fish Lake Conley at Point Lookout specifically looking for red drum. Ron hooked an undersized one but lost it. After that we both saw tailing fish but they weren't interested in our offerings. I did pick a 19 1/2" striper up in 2' of water inches from the bank. First thought was keeper drum and then the disappointment. If you've never fished the lake it has an Eastern Shote feel.

We then headed to a spot that had a lot of quality perch and 15-18" stripers to keep us entertained while we waited on the tidal current that never came today. Ron headed into the Potomac and over the radio I heard monster trout. Yeah, I guess 22" is a monster.

And just to show that I can catch stuff a quality needlefish closed out my day.

Very pleasant morning overall. Waiting on Yak67 to recover from some health things to get the SMOG band back on the water in force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Great Report and you may be the new "King of the Needle Fish" a Title I'm sure you don't want Ron as usual putting on a clinic

Missing S.M.O.G.

Yak67
    2017 Hobie-PA-12 Camo
    2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

OK- took a nap so I can write a better after action report- The SMOG crew was missing one, but looking forward to getting Gary back aboard..we were busy today... we had made a plan to fish inside Lake Conoy for Redfish thinking that our tactics would work in the shallow Marsh lake at Point Lookout..Big Mike and I quickly connected early so the skunk was off right at daylight...we got into white perch and some near legal striped bass...I hit a 16-17 inch Redfish on a sodbank point with my Limetruse SeaAssassin 1/8 oz...fish fought good in 2 feet of water and came unbuttoned a few feet from the boat...it was just 7 am...after chasing tailing fish around the marsh for well over an hour, we headed for the Inlet...on the way we hit a big school of fish-it was a mixed school of stripers and white perch- lots of really nice white perch- I was using a mini- crank bait recommended by Big Mike- I didn't keep count but it was well over a dozen big perch- measured 2 that were 12 inches..and several larger stripers near legal size...the action was every cast...lots of fun- our kayaks were almost touching at times...fish after fish..very "entertaining" as Mike says...the action slowed and I headed out the Inlet to see if there were any bigger reds or stripers hanging around...first cast connected- drag was running- I got on the radio to alert my partner and continued to work the fish close to see what it was- brown back down deep...had to be a speck- had it on my 2500 Sustain with 12# braid and the Bomber Sea Shad jighead had a 4/0 hook so I felt pretty good that the fish was securly hooked so I horsed it up to the boat and netted it in one scoop- wow! Another southern Maryland gator trout- how lucky can you get?

PS- there were a couple of other kayak fishermen out fishing PLO today...Non-Snaggedliners...but had well equipped kayaks...one was a fully rigged out peddle yak with all the bells and whistles...the other was a nice paddle yak...I didn't see either catch anything but they certainly looked like competent fishermen...
      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-17-2017, 07:14 PM.
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Glad you all are finding consistent fishing. I may need to road trip down there one day soon.
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Nice report. Sounds like it was a fun day.
          -manny

Hobie Outback
          Wilderness Systems 130T
          Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
            Glad you all are finding consistent fishing. I may need to road trip down there one day soon.
            +1 on that.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Kinda like Joe...learning to Cobia fish down in Buckroe Beach...we want to treat our Snaggedline Buddies to the fishing we have, but learning what ledge under what tide conditions produce fish with a certain lure presented in just a certain manner is nearly impossible on a one-time, first-time down...I guarantee you it took us a pretty good learning curve to figure out our fishing locations, time of year, species, bait, tides, presentations...when I travel three hours to Crisfield, I am at a severe disadvantage to catch fish...having no real experience fishing those waters...not knowing what points/ structure to target, what tide conditions are best...and what presentations work under what conditions...I keep four rods rigged...with different baits that sometimes have produced fish for me...yesterday I re-rigged Rods...threw everything I had in the tackle boxes trying to figure out what those tailing Redfish were feeding on...one take is all I got...frustrated...knowing the falling tide would move the fish, we headed for deeper water...What I am saying is catching is a by-product of many hours of experience at each fishing location...a one time trip down usually is a hit or miss opportunity that can disappoint

Comment

[QUOTE...What I am saying is catching is a by-product of many hours of experience at each fishing location...a one time trip down usually is a hit or miss opportunity that can disappoint[/QUOTE]

That's when a cold, frosty beverage comes into play
                -manny

Hobie Outback
                Wilderness Systems 130T
                Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  Kinda like Joe...learning to Cobia fish down in Buckroe Beach...we want to treat our Snaggedline Buddies to the fishing we have, but learning what ledge under what tide conditions produce fish with a certain lure presented in just a certain manner is nearly impossible on a one-time, first-time down...I guarantee you it took us a pretty good learning curve to figure out our fishing locations, time of year, species, bait, tides, presentations...when I travel three hours to Crisfield, I am at a severe disadvantage to catch fish...having no real experience fishing those waters...not knowing what points/ structure to target, what tide conditions are best...and what presentations work under what conditions...I keep four rods rigged...with different baits that sometimes have produced fish for me...yesterday I re-rigged Rods...threw everything I had in the tackle boxes trying to figure out what those tailing Redfish were feeding on...one take is all I got...frustrated...knowing the falling tide would move the fish, we headed for deeper water...What I am saying is catching is a by-product of many hours of experience at each fishing location...a one time trip down usually is a hit or miss opportunity that can disappoint
                  Absolutely.

There is no substitute for local knowledge which is why guides are so important. And even then, extensive experience in a given area will far surpass the tips and tricks guides can impart on a single outing.

You folks in Southern MD are truly fortunate to have numerous launch points and most of all to have access to two additional species I enjoy targeting, specks and reds. They make only rare appearances in the mid-Bay.

You’re not that far way but finding time, even for retirees, to make the trip south can be difficult.

I do hope to get there before the season ends, however. If I do, my expectations will be realistic and I'll have fun regardless of what I catch.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Very nice report. Where do you guys launch from?

Comment

There is a marina and camp store...we launched from both- Big Mike has a PA on a trailer...I have a Outback in my pickup...I launched from the camp store Beach, Mike launched from the marina in Point Lookout State Park...

Comment

Working...
                      X