Heron Island Bar - Lower Potomac 07/16/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heron Island Bar - Lower Potomac 07/16/17

Fished Heron Island Bar ( 1.25 M, NE of St. Clements Island MD - Potomac River) Area was covered with shorts, but managed a couple keepers 23" -24". Absolutely insane amount of perch if you wanted them. They bit all day. (Like the flies - what was that all about) When the tide is right you can get out of your kayak and walk along the bar that is mostly shells.

7162.JPG7161.jpg7163.JPG
    Last edited by Fishtank; 07-17-2017, 07:14 AM.
    Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
    Predator 13

those live shells? cool area, thanks for sharing
    sigpic

Comment

Just shells Jet.
      Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
      Predator 13

Comment

Just don't forget that they caught two 8' bull sharks not far from there a few years ago

Comment

Originally posted by HeaveToo View Post
          Just don't forget that they caught two 8' bull sharks not far from there a few years ago
          Be a real killjoy having one of those things swim up on you. I have enough problems with jellyfish.
          Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
          Predator 13

Comment

Hopefully you'd see it far enough away to see a shark in that shallow depth of water.

Seems like a REALLY cool place to visit via yak, reminds me of those vacation magazines with sand bars in the middle of the ocean.
            Last edited by mchottie; 07-19-2017, 08:42 AM.
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I had a big bull shark swim by my kayak at the hot ditch discharge (Morgantown PEPCO generating plant) at the Harry Nice 301 Bridge four years ago...really, really close...like a couple of feet close...and the Heron Island (used to be an island) Bar can be really good with an outgoing moving tide...but as Big Mike and I can attest to...it can get really rough and choppy there in a hurry...
              Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-19-2017, 10:17 AM.
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Ron, I agree and advise anyone that wants to fish St. Clements, Heron Bar area that it can get wild in a hurry... (The fetch, combined with fast currents, shallows surrounded by deep water etc,) …... Seen it go from mirror calm to time to go pretty fast.
                Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
                Predator 13

Comment

Working...
                X