Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cobia, Ray and Shark in Western Shore , VA (July 15, 2017)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cobia, Ray and Shark in Western Shore , VA (July 15, 2017)

It seemed that only a few still chummed for cobia. The most of the cobia anglers were into sight casting, I thought.
    This year, I decided to fish for cobia between back River and Buckroe Beach (The only VA Western Shore spot, I know currently) until the first skunk. I haven't caught a skunk this year yet.

On the way to Buckroe Beach Park, I stopped by Grafton tackle/sea food and picked up 2 bags of 1 gallon chum ($6.50 each). I din't buy eels. I knew I could catch over 50 spot, croaker and southern kingfish using Fish-Bites (blood worm flavor). I pre-rigged about 12 3 foot long 60# test mono leader (with a 9/0 octopus J hook and a 60# test duo-lock snap). I don't use circle hooks on spot, croaker and southern kingfish.

I went to Buckroe Beach because of the possible storms. I wanted to get back to the beach fast in case the lightening. I was planning to fish 4 hours around the slack tide.

It rained 3 times during fishing. Again, I was the only one on the water there. I hooked about 15 sharks in a row. I almost ran out of the hooks because of the sharks. After the sharks, I couldn't catch baitfish for a while. I learned recently that baitfish usually weren't available after a school of sharks. No exception on the last trip. After the sharks were gone, I couldn't catch baitfish for a while.

After rain I hooked a southern stingray (5.5' wing span) and a cobia after another rain.

Fishing Log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 07-17-2017, 09:59 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Joe,

That's impressive.

To paraphrase Chief Brody, I think you need a bigger boat!
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

That is one friendly ray. How did you get the ray to be so docile boat side? I can just barely get them to stay up on the surface long enough to cut the hook leader without them freaking out and lunging for the bottom. It looks like its a southern ray too fyi.
      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
        That is one friendly ray. How did you get the ray to be so docile boat side? I can just barely get them to stay up on the surface long enough to cut the hook leader without them freaking out and lunging for the bottom. It looks like its a southern ray too fyi.
        I wasted about 45 minutes to tame the ray. The Ray was very tired. The only reason I didn't cut the leader earlier was that I had only 2 hooks left. I wanted the hook back.
        I was doubting about the ray. I think you are right. That was a southern ray.

Joe
        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
        X