Hackett's Bar by Kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hackett's Bar by Kayak

Does anyone fish Hackett's by yak? Is it doable from Sandy Point? Is there a launch closer? TIA

Originally posted by rock'n'roll View Post
    Does anyone fish Hackett's by yak? Is it doable from Sandy Point? Is there a launch closer? TIA
    If you have military access - Carr's marina is the best, provided the winds are favorable.

I stay away from Sandy Point personally, but have done it from Jonas Green most days I go out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    J

Comment

I've never traveled to Hackett from Sandy Point but I have reached it from Jonas Green and also from USNA property.

Hackett Point is about 3.6 miles from Jonas Green. The good news is that you can fish along the way the 2 miles from Jonas to Greenbury Point at the mouth of the Severn. And then you can spend some time working the riprap at the point all the way to Mill Creek/White Hall Bay if you're ambitious. Or you can troll the 1.6 miles or so from Greenbury to Hackett. There is enough depth variation on that direct route to sometimes hold stripers and I have encountered breaking stripers in past years between Greenbury and Hackett Points.

Regardless of the fish, it's a scenic ride and there is good structure to target with topwater or shallow water lures once you once you get to Hackett.

P1000323.JPG P1000324.jpg

One of my favorite kayaking photos is this one looking from the mouth of Mill Creek out toward Hackett:

A.jpg
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

If you look at Google maps you can click on any point then right click to select Measure Distance. Left click on a second point or a string of points to get the cumulative distance. Using that method, I see that Hacketts Point (the actual point of land) is just over 2 miles from Sandy Pt. Most of the way there is quite shallow near the shore. Any wave action on the bay will stack up to make larger waves in the shallows -- be careful and choose your days. But there are several coves (Goose Pond, Moss Pond) along the way that are mostly too shallow for power boats. If you are headed that way, check out some of the shorelines, points, and holes.

Hacketts Bar sticks way out into the bay. From the end of Hacketts Point to the green can at the tip of Hacketts bar is about 1.2 miles. From Sandy Point to the green can is over 2.5 miles. There are steep drop offs there. When I used to bottom fish frequently, I would drift along drop offs to see at what depth the fish were sitting. There are many options around Hacketts, but no particularly close launch point.

There is another launch ramp that is about 2.3 miles from Hacketts Point. It is in a commercial marina called LJ Marina. It is next door to Cantlers seafood restaurant. I have never launched there -- the website says there is a ramp fee.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

LJ will charge you $20.00 to launch.
          Our Charter boat is berthed next door.

I have seen kayakers fishing along the drop off below the Green Can, mostly slow trolling, pick your days.
          It can get a little zooey on weekends, and you'll be dodging a lot of sailboats.

Most of the kayakers who launch at Sandy Point fish the bridge pilings. We had a lot of company out there today.
          I imagine that they headed back in pretty quickly this later morning when the waters spout formed off of Kent Island.
          Last edited by bignose; 07-15-2017, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Where specifically do you launch from on USNA property? I have military access. Thanks!
            Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

Originally posted by mjkeith13 View Post
              Where specifically do you launch from on USNA property? I have military access. Thanks!
              You can launch at Carr's marina. It's down past the gate from the exchange and commissary. There's a concrete ramp and you can park your car next to it. If a south wind is running, I wouldn't launch there. The ramp can be slippery, so shoes with grip are a must.

J

Comment

Thanks! I saw your other note but wasn't smart enough to realize you were talking about USNA. I'm going to be in that area later today so will check it out.
                Mike

2020 Hobie Outback - Camo

Comment

No worries! That's my favorite spot to launch from. Don't take all the fish [emoji12]

J

Comment

Thanks guys. Just the info I needed. Alas, my military ID expired about 47 years ago. I love to fish the little bay and creek by that marina and have wondered if there might be some place close by to put in. I heard about the waterspout. Wow!

Comment

Working...
                    X