Piney Point Heating up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piney Point Heating up

Joined Ron this morning at 6:30 to catch the peak of high tide and falling throughout the morning. We were drum hunting and you need the water up to fish the edges. We each picked a couple of dinks off at the bridge and then headed off to our favorite drum spot. On the way I picked up an 11" perch and Ron got a 20" striper. We chopped our way through heavy grass to get close to shore. I magnanimously let Ron cast first and he hooked this 23" beauty.

After appropriate drool I started working my favorite bank with my bigger setup without much luck. Put on my mini crank bait and second cast had a drum on. Got him to the boat when the micro hooks gave way. I estimated around 20". At least I had the fight. Stayed for awhile with no other bites so headed to deeper water. I picked up this 12" perch that had a 25+" rockfish mouthing it at the boat.

Went to a different bank without success so headed back deeper. I started reeling in what I thought was a routine 13-15" striper when the biggest perch I've ever seen broke the surface and laughed at me as it threw the hook. Much cursing ensued as this was my citation that just got away. I think my home A/C breaking last night was an omen of how the fishing gods were going to treat me. After that the action evaporated like water on cement on a hot day (so hot out there my phone wouldn't turn on and gave me an overtemp warning). So I leave you with one more drum shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Great catching guys. Enjoy those uncommon Maryland redfish.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nicely done! I'm headed down there tomorrow morning if anyone would like to join.
      Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

After the tide started dropping the water off the flats we headed out to deeper water...schools of bait were clouding up the fishfinder...Mike had an 11-12 inch speckled trout and hooked into a school striper that turned into a 13 inch perch at the boat...Mike had horrible luck today losing keeper fish at the boat...lots of heavy grass beds makes navigation tricky...
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-15-2017, 06:43 AM.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Excellent report, Mike.

Outstanding catch, Ron.

I wish those reds would venture north.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark- The Redfish are not very abundant and are very picky...pretty uncommon fish even in the Slower Lower...

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
              Mark- The Redfish are not very abundant and are very picky...pretty uncommon fish even in the Slower Lower...
              To be honest, they've been pretty picky with me in FL too.

It's especially frustrating when I've seen them tailing and cannot hook one.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

fingers crossed the bite is HOT in the AM, looking forward to putting some faces with some usernames.
                Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

excellent report, thank you!
                  2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Unfortunately we couldn't duplicate Ron's success from yesterday, the water was muddy from the rain, and another yakker beat us to the sweet spot. We all caught fish, 2 nice perch in the cooler, and 17" striper snapped my jig/paddletail off the braid (it was long overdue for a re-tie, and it was an inexpensive glow/bps ball head thank goodness)

On the plus side, Big Mike it was a pleasure to meet you and see the Grand wazoo in person, Joe it was good to meet your +1 and catch up with you again.

On the down side, unloading the kayaks, stacey put a brand new 1/2 oz 3/0 hook through her leg full barb, so i cut it clean off and retired that brand new jig / skirt / paddle. she was a trooper and fished all day, we did clean it thoroughly and she got a tetanus just to err on the safe side. Xray showed no metal inside, so the doc joked e did a "great job" on the removal.

I never realized how nice PP is, we will definitely be back down there VERY soon.

Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

St. Mary's County has some of the very best of the best launches...clean, well maintained, porto potties...and free...St. Inigoes, Elm's Beach...Breton Bay...and the fishing can be pretty good, depending on the tides and weather conditions...actually the entire Southern Maryland region has good, clean, free launches- Charles and Prince George's counties...and the State Park system down here does too...everyday is different as far as fishing goes...big croakers are in...bottom bouncers are having some good catches on strips of squid on double bottom rigs...and the White Perch are biting...occasionally you pick up a stray Flounder here and there...mostly undersized although there have been a few keepers reported...and specks are around...as are the occasional 25 inch striper...and those damn pesky bluefish...

Comment

Michael, it was a pleasure meeting you, Stacy, Joe and Katie. I kind of laughed when you said glad to see my kayak since I'm much more an Oscar Maddison than Felix Unger. I never wash it, no rod holders, keel guards would mar the patina I'm developing, and my loose bags of paddle tails tackle organization leaves much to be desired. Having a fish finder is my one concession to modernizing the kayak.
                        It was a shame fishing wasn't better and the wind didn't do us many favors. Some day you'll have to take me snakehead hunting.
                        Mike
                        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Nice to meet you as well Mike, thanks for showing us around. Hopefully fishing picks back up soon.
                          Joe

2020 Vibe Shearwater 125

Comment

It did...Bill got a 20 inch Redfish this morning...

Comment

Working...
                            X