Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piney Point Heating up

Default Piney Point Heating up

Joined Ron this morning at 6:30 to catch the peak of high tide and falling throughout the morning. We were drum hunting and you need the water up to fish the edges. We each picked a couple of dinks off at the bridge and then headed off to our favorite drum spot. On the way I picked up an 11" perch and Ron got a 20" striper. We chopped our way through heavy grass to get close to shore. I magnanimously let Ron cast first and he hooked this 23" beauty.

After appropriate drool I started working my favorite bank with my bigger setup without much luck. Put on my mini crank bait and second cast had a drum on. Got him to the boat when the micro hooks gave way. I estimated around 20". At least I had the fight. Stayed for awhile with no other bites so headed to deeper water. I picked up this 12" perch that had a 25+" rockfish mouthing it at the boat.

Went to a different bank without success so headed back deeper. I started reeling in what I thought was a routine 13-15" striper when the biggest perch I've ever seen broke the surface and laughed at me as it threw the hook. Much cursing ensued as this was my citation that just got away. I think my home A/C breaking last night was an omen of how the fishing gods were going to treat me. After that the action evaporated like water on cement on a hot day (so hot out there my phone wouldn't turn on and gave me an overtemp warning). So I leave you with one more drum shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Great catching guys. Enjoy those uncommon Maryland redfish.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 and Slayer Propel 10
    Member - Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" - light tackle fishing techniques for kayaks and small boats

Nicely done! I'm headed down there tomorrow morning if anyone would like to join.
    Joe

2016 Vibe Sea Ghost 130

After the tide started dropping the water off the flats we headed out to deeper water...schools of bait were clouding up the fishfinder...Mike had an 11-12 inch speckled trout and hooked into a school striper that turned into a 13 inch perch at the boat...Mike had horrible luck today losing keeper fish at the boat...lots of heavy grass beds makes navigation tricky...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-15-2017 at 06:43 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

Excellent report, Mike.

Outstanding catch, Ron.

I wish those reds would venture north.
    Mark

Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Mark- The Redfish are not very abundant and are very picky...pretty uncommon fish even in the Slower Lower...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

Quote Originally Posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    Mark- The Redfish are not very abundant and are very picky...pretty uncommon fish even in the Slower Lower...
    To be honest, they've been pretty picky with me in FL too.

It's especially frustrating when I've seen them tailing and cannot hook one.
    Mark

Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

fingers crossed the bite is HOT in the AM, looking forward to putting some faces with some usernames.
    First Lady: Hobie Ivory Sand Dune Hobie ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Backup Babe (Girlfriends Ride): Carribean Blue Hobie Outback Lowrance Elite 5 HDI w/ Pumpkin Spice Latte holder

Learning the Ropes & Living the Dream

excellent report, thank you!
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Unfortunately we couldn't duplicate Ron's success from yesterday, the water was muddy from the rain, and another yakker beat us to the sweet spot. We all caught fish, 2 nice perch in the cooler, and 17" striper snapped my jig/paddletail off the braid (it was long overdue for a re-tie, and it was an inexpensive glow/bps ball head thank goodness)

On the plus side, Big Mike it was a pleasure to meet you and see the Grand wazoo in person, Joe it was good to meet your +1 and catch up with you again.

On the down side, unloading the kayaks, stacey put a brand new 1/2 oz 3/0 hook through her leg full barb, so i cut it clean off and retired that brand new jig / skirt / paddle. she was a trooper and fished all day, we did clean it thoroughly and she got a tetanus just to err on the safe side. Xray showed no metal inside, so the doc joked e did a "great job" on the removal.

I never realized how nice PP is, we will definitely be back down there VERY soon.

First Lady: Hobie Ivory Sand Dune Hobie ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Backup Babe (Girlfriends Ride): Carribean Blue Hobie Outback Lowrance Elite 5 HDI w/ Pumpkin Spice Latte holder

Learning the Ropes & Living the Dream