YakAttack Blackpak Rigging Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YakAttack Blackpak Rigging Ideas

Anyone would like to share your YakAttack Blackpak rigged? I have one and I'm still trying to figure out how to rig it. I have added one gear trac on top but nothing else. Ultimately, I want the pak to be all inclusive module for all my gear. Meaning, I take the pak, I have all the gear I need.

Here are some things I'm considering.
    1. Ability to take two or three rods -- default rod holders can do this
    2. Ability to take two 3600 plano boxes -- plenty of space but anyone add any spacers or organizers?
    3. Possibly have a trolling setup for two rods? -- not sure how to go about this, possibly install something on the side of the pak?
    4. Possibly add a camera mount for rear shot

I have been in bed rest for gout past three weeks and I have been reading kayak fishing books, especially Mark's "Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing". There is a chapter on storage and he talks about his blackpak.

Ideally, it would be nice to see a cooler system that has placeholders for plano boxes and geartrac adaptability.
    Last edited by Seasalt; 07-13-2017, 12:57 PM.
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

I have added those tackle webbs to the front of it to hold another tackle box. bungees right through the holes.
    I have also ran some camera mounts off it as well.
    I currently run 6 rod holders off it.

and thinking about adding a cargo net small enough to bolt down to the top to hold quick access tackle boxes
    Zach Moore
    Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
    Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
    Bait Towel Pro Staff
    2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

I had planned to order this, but the GF got me the Hobie H-Crate for our Anniversay so I cant complain.

Interested to see rigging ideas regardless, i'm very impressed with several members' setups on this forum.
      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I'm sorry you have been ill. I hope by reading my book in bed it is having its usual effect and granting you the rest you need to recover!

The BlackPak is solidly built and heavy and makes an excellent foundation for attachments. I have added Scotty mounts to the sides of my BlackPak. The holes for 3 bolts were pre-existing. I did not add a fourth. Three fasteners are plenty. I used stainless steel, of course:

A.jpg

I can attach fly rod or regular rod holders to the mounts.

Here I have two fly rods on the BlackPak:

A1.jpg

Note that I can put 3 rods in the vertical holders in the back of the BlackPak and still used the Scotty side mounts. But I rarely carry more than 4 rods.

At one time I attached extender arms to the mounts and created a trolling set-up like this:

B.jpg

The rods were easy to reach and I could see the rod-tips. The box was sturdy enough to sustain hits from stripers -- at least the ones I catch. But it was more trouble than it was worth in my opinion to set up.

Now I just use the Hobie Rocket Launchers in the deck mounts when I troll. I can still use the BlackPack to carry extra rods as you can see in this cropped photo:

P1010757.jpg

As for the inside, I can carry multiple Plano 3640 waterproof boxes inside -- although water rarely enters the BlackPak. I could use non-waterproof boxes. I never carry more than 3 Plano 3640s, mostly one or two. I place them in a plastic shoe box to keep them up-right and easy to reach. I also carry a Plano Utility Storage Box for tools, rope, my licenses, and a few spare parts for my Mirage Drive, just in case. And of course, I carry water and snacks.

P1000945.jpg

Continue on the mend and get back on the water fast.

Overall, I like the BlackPak. It does its intended job for me and spared me from drilling into the deck of my Revo for rod mounts. That's the main reason I got mine, to carry rods.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I don't have a black pack I really wanted one but I created a milk crate solution that worked just as well and it only cost me 21$

Yakman35
          Perception striker 11.5

Comment

Yakman35
            Perception striker 11.5

Comment

Originally posted by Yakman35 View Post

Yakman35
              Perception striker 11.5
              I did a milk crate too, I'll have to edit in a pic when I get home. What I don't have is a top for it. Did you just use plywood? I'd like to put something on top for like hooks and weights or maybe pliers. Plus I'd like to save my gear when the next swim happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I like your camo paint job on the crate, Yakman35.

I use a crate in my Ultimate 12. I do not use the BlackPak in that boat.

However, I added Scotty rod mounts to the front crate just like I did to the BlackPak. I also added two vertical rod holders to the back.

I can store rods like this:

Crate.jpg

Or I can lay them back using Scotty rod holders as illustrated in this photo:

Ultimate 2.jpg
                Last edited by Mark; 07-14-2017, 01:23 PM.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Excellent responses... thank you all. Please keep them coming...

I'm thinking about adding scotty mounts to the side as well for my pak.
                  2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Yes I used a piece of plywood used zip ties for hinges on both parts. For a few reasons to help keep cost low weather resistant and easily fixed if one should break. I used a paint scheme somewhat matched to my kayak as it's a green swirl camo pattern

Yakman35
                    Perception striker 11.5

Comment

Also I cut the bottom off of a crate and made the tray part for a top compartment then put the ply wood lid on.

Yakman35
                      Perception striker 11.5

Comment

I have a question as I am making another crate just for fun. I see most people putting their rods to the far side of the crates or other systems used. How easy is it to transition between rods with them being so far away. Especially in a seat that is not raised like some of the more premium yaks

Yakman35
                        Perception striker 11.5

Comment

I had a older crate that I had sitting above tank well but felt it was too high

Yakman35
                          Perception striker 11.5

Comment

Originally posted by Yakman35 View Post
                            I have a question as I am making another crate just for fun. I see most people putting their rods to the far side of the crates or other systems used. How easy is it to transition between rods with them being so far away. Especially in a seat that is not raised like some of the more premium yaks

Yakman35
                            Perception striker 11.5
                            Not a problem for me and both my of kayaks have low-positioned seats. I believe my reach (32/33 inch shirt sleeve) is average for someone of my height which is 6 feet.

Actually, if the vertically stored rods were on the near side of the crate and immediately behind my seat, I think they would be harder to grasp and return to their holders. It would be like trying to scratch that itch on your back where you can't quite angle your arm to reach it.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Comment

I have run across this problem myself. I'll try the other way and see what happens. I've also thought of putting 2 at a angle one on each side like a scabbard style as well

Yakman35
                              Perception striker 11.5

Comment

Working...
                              X