Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conversion

Default Conversion

After a bruising battle with an extra large CNR on my Stradic 2500 FI reel this past fishing trip, I decided maybe a 3000 reel would be appropriate...after a little research, I discovered that the 2500 and the 3000 are essentially the same reel...so I am taking the factory spool off my 2500 FI and swapping it out for a new spare spool off a 3000 FI...instant Stradic 3000...and I have 10# braid on my 2500s...I have 20# braid on my 3000s...
    Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-12-2017 at 09:49 AM.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

I'm not sure if the Penn Battle are the same, but when I hold a 2500 & 3000 side my side, they look damn near identical to me.
    First Lady: Hobie Ivory Sand Dune Hobie ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Backup Babe (Girlfriends Ride): Carribean Blue Hobie Outback Lowrance Elite 5 HDI w/ Pumpkin Spice Latte holder

Learning the Ropes & Living the Dream

Yeah I like the 2500 size of my daiwa BG because it might not be as light as the stradic but it does hold more line at the same size. And it was an ounce lighter than the bg3000. I think 2500s, like many have said, are the go-to size for most bay fishing.

The difference between Diawa and Shimano numbering is significant...they are no where near the same...a 2500 BG is like a Stradic 4000

Quote Originally Posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    After a bruising battle with an extra large CNR on my Stradic 2500 FI reel this past fishing trip, I decided maybe a 3000 reel would be appropriate...after a little research, I discovered that the 2500 and the 3000 are essentially the same reel...so I am taking the factory spool off my 2500 FI and swapping it out for a new spare spool off a 3000 FI...instant Stradic 3000...and I have 10# braid on my 2500s...I have 20# braid on my 3000s...
    Of course, being a smart--s, going to a larger spool just means that you have a chance to loose an extra 50-75 yards of line when a jumbo CNR decides to head to the Bridge Tunnel and spool you. LOL
    Actually, going to the stronger braid is the better idea, but CNR are first class lure stealers and rod busters.
    How good are you at "palming" the spool to act as extra drag?
    For those of you who have never experienced these critters, never, ever wrap braid around your hand or fingers when fighting a fish! Conceivably, the braid could cut you severely.
    Last edited by bignose; 07-12-2017 at 09:04 PM.

I brought the CNR up to the side of my kayak...palming the spool, but with ten pound braid you can only put so much pressure on the ray...and you are very right about braid cutting hands...never wrap it around your hand...I broke the ray off after getting all my line back...grabbed the spool, pointed the rod straight at the ray and popped it off...a foot or two less line and it broke about a foot up from the leader

We had a client on the charter boat two years ago insist that I net or gaff his Ray and bring it on board the boat.
    I tried to explain to him that this was dangerous, (and I didn't want to kill it for no reason-plus cleaning the blood off of the deck), but he got pretty obnoxious, so as the Ray approached the side of the boat and I had the leader in my hand, I scraped it a couple of times against the boat's wooden hull, and then lifted up sharply.....oopps, the line broke.........S.O.B. didn't leave me a tip!

Quote Originally Posted by bignose View Post
    We had a client on the charter boat two years ago insist that I net or gaff his Ray and bring it on board the boat.
    I tried to explain to him that this was dangerous, (and I didn't want to kill it for no reason-plus cleaning the blood off of the deck), but he got pretty obnoxious, so as the Ray approached the side of the boat and I had the leader in my hand, I scraped it a couple of times against the boat's wooden hull, and then lifted up sharply.....oopps, the line broke.........S.O.B. didn't leave me a tip!
    Great story, Stu, and smart approach.
    Mark

Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

I've never had a cow nose ray on the end of my line. Do these things accidentally get snagged while you boys troll around? What do those suckers naturally eat?

Mostly shellfish, mussels, clams, etc...and they migrate into the middle and lower bay to reproduce in the millions...and you snag into them as they swim through the water sometimes near the bottom where you don't see them....a forty or fifty pound ray on 10# line, snagged, puts up one helluva fight and tests light tackle to its elastic limits...high sticking one guarantees a broken rod...the preferred method is once you determine what you have hooked into, decide if the lure is worth thirty or more minute slugfest to get the ray alongside the kayak tired enough for you to attempt to get your lure or just pop it off and re-tie...