Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You know you're really retired when...

Stu,

I can relate to that!

Listen, I knew it was Wednesday today and I remembered I was scheduled to meet Harry at Jonas this morning.

I got there and not only was Harry present but so was EMSer (Bruce) and Harlan. So we had a mini M&G on the Severn.

Harry had the first hit. Unfortunately it was a CNR. This photo is courtesy of Harlan who was on the spot to encourage Harry. Congrats to Harry for getting it to the boat:

IMG_0409.jpg

Then Harlan offered his condolences to Harry because, of course, the CNR won the battle.

P1010769.jpg

Here's Bruce and Harlan heading south:

P1010770.jpg

There were some beautiful colors on the water this morning. These photos do not do them justice:

P1010771.jpg P1010772.jpg

I went north just as I did yesterday. I too had the misfortune of a CNR encounter. Of course it happened immediately after I tied on an expensive X-Rap that I had modified with in-line hooks. I guess that was $10 or $12 donated to the deep.

In addition to the ray, I hooked three small 12 to 14 inch stripers trolling and I caught 31 more white perch casting. By the way, I caught a 12 inch white perch today but it jumped off my Hawg Trough before I could photograph it. Harry said, "no photo no fish". So I won't report it.

I also caught something in about 20 feet of water that will make my grand kids happy:

P1010777.jpg

I see there are queries on the forum about bluefish. I do believe they're in the Severn. I was bitten off three times today and Bruce also experienced some bite-offs.

P1010784.jpg

It amazes me how they manage to cleanly bite through the plastic and just miss the hook.

So that's my report for the actual scheduled day of fishing. Yesterday's outing was a mistake, but enjoyable. However, the lack of decent Severn stripers from Jonas is curious. Baitfish are everywhere breaking the surface and clouds of them were clearly visible below on my FF. But noticeably missing are slicks and the heavy fishy smell of them being consumed by stripers. I think if the stripers discover the river is loaded with food the bite for them will improve tremendously.

I don't know what the guys who went south caught but the radio wasn't lighting up with excitement from their transmissions. I hope they did better than me.

It was great to see Bruce and Harry and Harlan on the water today.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-12-2017 at 04:28 PM.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Great to see Harry back on the water. Glad that you had a good morning, water look great.
    John
    Annapolis
    Native Slayer Propel 10, Native Ultimate 12

Every year about this time the Spalding Tree drops it's fruit. The big brown ones are the product of planting the tree too close to the water. The day glow green fuzzy smaller ones flow thru the sewer drain system to arrive on the river after a storm.

Capt Mike

Quote Originally Posted by captmikestarrett View Post
    Every year about this time the Spalding Tree drops it's fruit. The big brown ones are the product of planting the tree too close to the water. The day glow green fuzzy smaller ones flow thru the sewer drain system to arrive on the river after a storm.

Capt Mike
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

You guys are hilarious.
    Thanks for the witty and humorous post, I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T

Unknown-3.jpeg

This what the fruit of the Spalding tree look like before they fall in the water.
    If you look closely, you may notice that this is the Rawlings variant.

It makes me glad that watermelons don't grow in trees and elephants can't fly.

thanks for the reports Mark! Great reading!
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11