Kayak fishing the Sea Isle City, NJ area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak fishing the Sea Isle City, NJ area

Anyone fished the bays and wetland areas near Sea Isle City, NJ, specifically the Ludlum Bay area and the nooks and crannies around it? I am considering going the weekend of August 18-20. I am thinking drifting for flounder in the Bay, or hitting the inlet areas for possible stripers or blues, similar to the back bays around Assateague and O.C., Md.

As an alternative to bringing my kayak, should I bring my surf rod instead for any action worth getting up early for surf fishing? Thanks, any intel would help. Steve
    Last edited by Fishinfool; 07-11-2017, 09:44 AM.

I am planning to do the same, a week later, near Wildwood.
    Here is a good launching info site: http://www.jsska.org/launch-director...municipal-ramp
    Google "Shep on Fishing" for the latest squib from Atlantic City Press.
    Greenhead flies may be an issue

Comment

I don't want to be negative but I am gonna tell it how it is: fishing in NJ in mid summer is bad. You have a shot at small stripers in the marshes around creek mouths in the first hour of light, then you have a pick of very small flounder and black sea bass the rest of the day and that's about it. The majority of keeper flounder have already moved out through the inlets and by that time will be headed offshore. IMO there are no safe, kayak-able inlets in the entire state of New Jersey in the summertime due to strong currents and HEAVY boat traffic. Greenheads, mosquitos and no-see ums will make fishing on non-windy days absolutely unbearable. Surf fishing is equally dismal at that point, but kingfish and croaker will probably start to show by then at least. People catch them with fishbites or tiny pieces of clam on hi-lo rigs.

Your best bet to actually catch fish might be to find a party boat drifting for flounder a couple miles offshore. If it was me, I would put the fishing plans on hold and just enjoy the beach!
      Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I do fairly well in south Jersey bays through the summer using gulp shrimp and minnows on bucktails for flounder. I usually just paddle to a good spot and drift. You do have to locate and time your outings around boat traffic. Early morning is best in my experience. And make sure you're visible. For back bay flounder, historically I've done best on the top of the tides. Surf is pretty tame that late in the year... kingfish are the game unless you're into sharks and rays. Depending on water temperature I will sometimes either wear a long john wetsuit or at least long pants and shirts because the greenhead flies are the worst. Permethrin or deet works fairly well with them but they will find any square inch of exposed skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Gents. I am not taking the kayak, as it turns out. Based on your intel, I think I'll leave the fishing gear at home this trip, and just enjoy some beach, and party time at the old Springfield Inn, which incidentally is closing the day after Labor Day for re-development of the entire block.

Comment

Working...
          X