fishing suggestions for Maui and Kauai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fishing suggestions for Maui and Kauai

So I asked this question before, but since new members are always joining, I thought I would pose it again now that I'm only about 1.5 months out from my trip. I'm going to Maui from 8/27-9/3, and Kauai from 9/3-9/9, and was hoping to get any sort of advice on fishing, charters, kayak charters, etc. before I go. I think I'm going to go kayak fishing from Jon Jon from Pacific Warriors, though I'm still on the fence about it, since it's about twice what I was hoping to pay (it's about $600 for the 8 hr day). His company's called Local Fishing Knowledge if anyone's interested, though their lack of recent reviews has me a little worried. If anyone's got any fishing experience on either of those islands, let me know, even if it's not from a kayak, I certainly plan to fish from shore and possibly a charter boat as well. Names of guides or locals that might give me a few tips or take me out if I gave them some cash would be very helpful, though I might have 1 contact already. Thanks for the help!

Maui Kayak Fishing Group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1687466664840456/

I thought I was part of a Hobie Hawaii Fishing Group also, but I cant seem to find it.

Good Luck, and enjoy the R&R
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

i found jonjon was the only guy in maui that listed hobies for rent. But he is kind of pricey, so I never used him. I also had a hard time finding a paddle kayak that was safe enough to fish in the deeper water, but maybe you'll have better luck than me. I ended up renting an 11 ft yak, launched out of some random beach on the west cost and was thankful i didn't tip over. But it was worth it, the water is so clear and it looks amazing. I caught some reef fish, and had a great time.

If i had to do it again, i'd do a charter or pony up the money for the hobie. So I could do some speed jigging for some pelagics.

I didn't have much luck fishing from shore because I didn't have much time. but there are a LOT of parks along the coast that I see locals fishing from.

Just remember to look at the restricted fishing areas
      http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dar/fishing/f...n-maui-county/

Comment

If you want to go out on a sportfishing charter and are looking to join another party, contact Lili Crawford at FishMaui.com 1-808-344-3520 and she will find a charter for you. I went out with Start Me Up Sportfishing and had a great trip. Caught a nice Blue Marlin. Maui is fantastic for sportfishing. I think Maui would be your better bet compared to Kauai.

Wear protective clothing from head to toe. The sun is brutal out on the Hawaii water, particularly in a kayak.
        Michael
        Washington, DC
        Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone, keep 'em coming if you've got 'em. I'm torn right now between spending $600 for a kayak charter, or just going out on 2 deepsea boat charters for the same price, but leaning towards the boat charters. Might give DieHard fishing a try, then just rent a kayak or tackle from jonjon and see where he thinks I should fish.

Comment

I was following this thread as well since I'm headed there in January. I hope you will post your observations when you get back. On a trip to Maui a few years ago I went out on a charter boat. I'm afraid I would find it hard to do again. Six hours of diesel engine pounding, deck hands lining the rigs and setting them out, and the 'fishermen' only get involved if something gets hooked and it's your turn to reel them in. I don't begrudge anyone who enjoys that, it would just be hard for me to do that again at this point in my life. I hope you do find a kayak solution that works out, now that would be cool. just don't dangle your feet in the ocean. Good luck and have fun.

Comment

Working...
            X