Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keeper Cobia in Western Shore, VA (July 9, 2017)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeper Cobia in Western Shore, VA (July 9, 2017)

I launched the kayak off Buckroe Beach, VA for cobia. I picked Buckroe Beach because of the wind direction on the day. I fished from slack tide. I hooked a small shark first. This time I didn't try to remove the hook. I cut the leader. I don't mess with sharks any more.

A big cobia hit a live croaker after the shark. But it broke the line within 3-4 seconds. I think the line crossed my kayak anchor line. I saw the big cobia briefly when it surfaced momentarily in full speed.

After that I was waiting for another big one. In 10 minutes, two cobia came - I could see them. I hooked one of them on a live southern king fish at 12”. In 22 minutes, I landed the cobia at 45".

Fishing Log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 07-10-2017, 11:29 PM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Persistence pays off. Congratulations on your the keeper, Joe! You certainly earned it.
    Brian

Comment

Do you live line using a typical fishfinder rig (weight on a slide and then a leader to a circle hook)? Awesome fish, though I hope you don't retire from kayak fishing, since as the video says, that's the last fish on your bucket list.

Comment

Well done Joe
        Red Hobie outback
        Yellow Hobie outback

Jeff

Comment

Well done, Joe!

Comment

Congrats on one of your 'bucket list' fish, we all understand the 'trials and tribulations' from your previous reports, in search of that "perfect cobia"
            Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

you're a beast Joe!!! Well done and well deserved! Are you feeding the neighborhood this weekend?
              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                you're a beast Joe!!! Well done and well deserved! Are you feeding the neighborhood this weekend?
                I already did. The last bag of fillet was dropped off today. It is too bad that we live far away to go fishing together.

Joe
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Great fish...very tasty...big tail, lots of fight...congratulations...
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Congrats, Joe. You sure earned that Cobia! I am cracking up at the fact that you actually planned well enough to bring a wine glass and wine with you in case you landed one! Well done.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice catch! When do the cobia start showing up in that area, and how long do they stick around?
                      Michael
                      Washington, DC
                      Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                        Great fish...very tasty...big tail, lots of fight...congratulations...
                        Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Now, I am addicted to Cobia fishing. A cobia is stronger and has more stamina than a cow striper and bull red even though it is skinnier.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
                          Congrats, Joe. You sure earned that Cobia! I am cracking up at the fact that you actually planned well enough to bring a wine glass and wine with you in case you landed one! Well done.
                          Originally posted by Rhino View Post
                          Nice catch! When do the cobia start showing up in that area, and how long do they stick around?
                          Thanks.

After learning cobia fishing last year, I planned cobia fishing very well. I hooked 1-3 cobia per trip. Though landing a big one was an issue until this one. I keep fishing video prep materials next to a fishing fridge in my garage. The wine glass is one of the prep. Somehow in the morning, I picked up the wine glass and wine to celebrate a big catch . I guess I had a gut-feeling of catching a keeper cobia that morning.

Last year, I fished for cobia in May - Mid June. This year, I started on June 1st. The new cobia season this year starts on June 1st not in May. Cobia arrive at the Chesapeake Bay shoals in May. I think the best time is mid May - mid June.
                          I know the 6 mile long coastal line between the mouth of Back River and Buckroe Beach Park only. I don't have experience in other areas. I was told cobia bites stop in the middle of June. So after the mid June I am one of very few (1-3 boats) withing 3-4 miles. On July 9th, I was the only one chumming for cobia off Buckroe beach.
                          I think the most of the anglers stopped chunning already. But I am planning to chum for cobia 1 or 2 more times without expecting much.
                          If I can fish and the wind is mild on July 14th (Fri), I will drop anchor by 8:30 AM off buckroe beach. I will fish 3-4 hours during the mild current with 2 bags of one gallon chum.
                          I want to try the edge (6'-15' of water) near CBBT off Buoy 44 Restaurant during the slack tide. I think I may hook a cobia there by chumming. To do this, I have to plan the whole day well so I can fish other spots for other species if I don't catch a cobia.

Joe
                          Last edited by ComeOnFish; 07-12-2017, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks for video Joe! Congrats on the Cobia...
                            2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Very classy touch by bringing along some vino.
                              Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              -manny

Hobie Outback
                              Wilderness Systems 130T
                              Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Working...
                              X