Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeper Cobia in Western Shore, VA (July 9, 2017)

Nice catch! When do the cobia start showing up in that area, and how long do they stick around?
    Michael
    Washington, DC
    Hobie Outback

Quote Originally Posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    Great fish...very tasty...big tail, lots of fight...congratulations...
    Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Now, I am addicted to Cobia fishing. A cobia is stronger and has more stamina than a cow striper and bull red even though it is skinnier.

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDfense View Post
    Congrats, Joe. You sure earned that Cobia! I am cracking up at the fact that you actually planned well enough to bring a wine glass and wine with you in case you landed one! Well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Nice catch! When do the cobia start showing up in that area, and how long do they stick around?
    Thanks.

After learning cobia fishing last year, I planned cobia fishing very well. I hooked 1-3 cobia per trip. Though landing a big one was an issue until this one. I keep fishing video prep materials next to a fishing fridge in my garage. The wine glass is one of the prep. Somehow in the morning, I picked up the wine glass and wine to celebrate a big catch . I guess I had a gut-feeling of catching a keeper cobia that morning.

Last year, I fished for cobia in May - Mid June. This year, I started on June 1st. The new cobia season this year starts on June 1st not in May. Cobia arrive at the Chesapeake Bay shoals in May. I think the best time is mid May - mid June.
    I know the 6 mile long coastal line between the mouth of Back River and Buckroe Beach Park only. I don't have experience in other areas. I was told cobia bites stop in the middle of June. So after the mid June I am one of very few (1-3 boats) withing 3-4 miles. On July 9th, I was the only one chumming for cobia off Buckroe beach.
    I think the most of the anglers stopped chunning already. But I am planning to chum for cobia 1 or 2 more times without expecting much.
    If I can fish and the wind is mild on July 14th (Fri), I will drop anchor by 8:30 AM off buckroe beach. I will fish 3-4 hours during the mild current with 2 bags of one gallon chum.
    I want to try the edge (6'-15' of water) near CBBT off Buoy 44 Restaurant during the slack tide. I think I may hook a cobia there by chumming. To do this, I have to plan the whole day well so I can fish other spots for other species if I don't catch a cobia.

Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 07-12-2017 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks for video Joe! Congrats on the Cobia...
    2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Very classy touch by bringing along some vino.
    Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T

Nice Joe!!

Excellent, Joe!! You really put in the work to learn how to fish for those guys. Bon Appetit

Great job!!! Next time don't give a write-up prior to the video, let the suspenseful video play out. Even knowing that you caught it from the write up, I was still biting my nails each time that pig swam away from the net. Awesome fish!
    A keeper cobia from the yak is on my bucket list, but I don't think I have the perseverance to do all the work to get one like you did. Well done.
    13' Sand Revo
    16' Yellow Tarpon
    10' Red Ocean Tandem
    Old Red Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by summersoff View Post
    Great job!!! Next time don't give a write-up prior to the video, let the suspenseful video play out. Even knowing that you caught it from the write up, I was still biting my nails each time that pig swam away from the net. Awesome fish!
    A keeper cobia from the yak is on my bucket list, but I don't think I have the perseverance to do all the work to get one like you did. Well done.
    Thanks. I will just write "I hooked a cobia" instead of "I landed".
    Actually cobia fishing isn't hard. I hooked at least 1 cobia per trip. I made 6 trips (including yesterday, July 15) this year but only one keeper. This year, I am doing the exactly the same thing I did at CHSP few years ago. I fished the whole year at the Inner and Outer wall to learn CHSP for togs and trigger fish. I will be fishing for cobia mainly until the cobia season is over.

Joe