Alaska outfitter recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska outfitter recommendations

Planning to take my brother on a 70th birthday trip to Alaska. Lots of info online about all inclusive providers. Probably looking to do salmon, halibut and trout fishing. Wondering if anyone could recommend an outfit from their experience. Thanks!

I fished only once in Alaska, but it was memorable and highly productive. A friend organized a trip for six of us to live aboard a 52-ft boat for 3 nights and fish for 4 days. The charter company was http://www.homerocean.com/. They have different sized boats and lengths of trips.

Alaska 1 010.jpg

The boat had a captain and mate who did everything for us. They cooked all our meals, set up our fishing rigs, and cleaned the fish. At the end of each day, we dropped off the large fillets from big halibut, lingcod, Pacific rockfish, and a few salmon at the dock.

Alaska-day 3 023.jpg Alaska 054.jpg Alaska 038.jpg Alaska 1a 007.jpg

The local fish processing plant cut them into one-pound blocks, vacuum sealed them, and deep froze them. When we returned at the end of the trip for our drive from Homer back to Anchorage, there were over 600 one-pound frozen bags of tasty fillets. I brought back 40 lbs in soft coolers that fit in my luggage. Some guys had hundreds of pounds shipped by FedEx to their homes.

P1000699.jpg

This was not an inexpensive trip, but it was a very successful one.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Wow!

Comment

I did an couple half day fishing trips in Alaska during a cruise. We went up a few days early and did some grayling fishing outside of the cruise company. The guy also did week long floats down some rivers that I'm dieing to go on.

These week long and the short trips I went on were float trips down a couple rivers. You are on a raft going down a flowing river with some lighter white water. We didn't see a sign of man while we were out. The thought of not seeing a sole for a week and camping on the river is awesome to me.

I can look up the guy's info if this kind of trip sounds appealing. It's the opposite end of the spectrum of what was posted above and may not be what you are looking for.

The rivers were crystal clear.

The grayling are not a huge fish, 14" - 24". They were a blast to catch on light tackle and put up a good fight when they prop that fin up in the river's flow. The week long trips target salmon and other species as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by willf650; 07-12-2017, 08:41 AM.
        1980 Something Old Town Canoe
        2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
        2015 Coosa HD
        2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
        2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Double wow!

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations. Both types of trips sound great. I'm probably not up for a week long float trip at this stage in life. I like my creature comforts too much:-)
            I checked out homerocean's web site and it's a possibility. The large boat you guys had is only available for 6 people so I'm not sure it's going to work for us.
            Still working on it.

Comment

Working...
            X