Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windy Days and Still Searching for the Sheepshead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhcxiSfuUoA
    I went to Rudee early on Friday morning to fish the outgoing tide for flounder because the bridge was a no-go due to the high winds. It was still really windy at Rudee with drift speeds over 2.0 mph, so I did a lot of casting! I caught 12 flounder all undersized with the four largest reaching 15". One of them had a darker, spotted coloration that looked cool (shown in video).

On Saturday morning I made it out to the bridge to try my luck for Sheepshead with fiddler crabs and sand fleas. I had some bites early on, but most turned out to be croaker. I didn't capture the video, but I had something on my line for about a minute that had my rod bent all the way into the water, which was really exciting until it spat the hook. Later, I would catch a toad fish in this area. I moved down the bridge columns trying areas, where I'd had bites before and new areas. I saw a decent sized Cobia just past the 2nd SBC, but it disappeared quickly and I was not prepared with rigs to catch one.

I eventually hooked into a triggerfish that was about 14", which I'd never caught before. As I was reeling it in, another triggerfish followed it all the way to the surface. I released the triggerfish, because at the time I wasn't sure what the regulations were. They don't appear to be regulated, outside of a citation size and I've heard they can be tasty. Has anyone cleaned and/or ate triggerfish previously?

I tried all the way out to first island with no success for sheepshead. Around noon the winds kicked up and made it really difficult/dangerous to fish the pilings for me, so I headed back in knowing what my limitations are.
    Last edited by Jman; 07-11-2017, 10:43 AM.
    J

Always appreciate your fishing log reports
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Yes, triggerfish are good and easy to clean.

Rod bent to the water? Sounds like you may have had a sheep on briefly. Keep at though - you'll get one.
      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
        Yes, triggerfish are good and easy to clean.

Rod bent to the water? Sounds like you may have had a sheep on briefly. Keep at though - you'll get one.
        Good to hear with the Triggerfish! I'll have a crack at them next time.

I'm going to be addicted if that's what a Sheepshead fight feels like. It was my heavy rod and bent all the way into the water peeling line away.
        J

Comment

Triggerfish are possibly the best tasting fish out there. I just caught my first sheep last month in VA and it fought unlike anything I've ever hooked before. I was using half blue claws and they were crunching them down just to the hook every time. They are so hard to hook! And their mouths are so much bone and teeth that I had several pop off halfway up due to poor hook penetration. Spend a couple extra bucks and get some nice owner cutting points or something and always keep your hooks razor sharp!
          Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

You will be addicted guaranteed! I am.
            Brian

Comment

thanks for the report Jake!
              2015 Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
              X