Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Icast 2017

Interesting, but it doesn't look very different from the solo skiff.
    Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

It also comes at $3499 and with out a motor. You can get a Hobie PA or even the new Titan for that price.
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
    Interesting, but it doesn't look very different from the solo skiff.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. It weighs less than the solo skiff but is literally twice the price. All the stuff you see in the picture with the exception of the motor mount is optional. Neat but actually makes the solo skiff look practical when taking price into account.
    2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
    2014 Hobie ProAngler 12
    2015 Coosa HD
    2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
    2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Yeah to me it's completely pointless. People will probably buy it who have money to burn, or worse, people who don't but think they do. Whatever floats your over priced plastic bote.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

What has kayaking evolved too?
    Are cabins next?
    One can attribute this to what people are asking their kayaks to do. When you think about it, we are fishing places and loading them with features that original sit insides were never asked to do.

Still something to be said about light and simple (says the man who's Kayaks are Old Town Canoes).

Default Icast 2017

Need to keep in mind these are options, not fundamental changes of all kayaks. I guarantee there are double the options of basic inexpensive kayaks than there were 15 years ago. In addition to that we now have dozens of other options ranging from long and narrow to barges. All these new innovations are not a bad thing, there is just only so much you can improve to a basic kayak. These companies are trying to differentiate themselves, not all build slight variations of the same thing. I think all these boats are pretty neat in different ways, but maybe nothing I'd ever buy. The great thing is that we are all different and have different ideas of what is the perfect boat, and with so much stuff out there now we can likely find it.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Quote Originally Posted by bignose View Post
    What has kayaking evolved too?
    Are cabins next?
    One can attribute this to what people are asking their kayaks to do. When you think about it, we are fishing places and loading them with features that original sit insides were never asked to do.

Still something to be said about light and simple (says the man who's Kayaks are Old Town Canoes).
    I always say that there are two kinds of people who fish out of a kayak...kayakers who fish and fishermen who use a kayak...however, in this discussion, small skiffs that have gasoline motors; peddle boats that you can convert to power...are something else...maybe we put in a catagory called a hybrid...mostly boat but small enough to be considered kayaking...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

Quote Originally Posted by Steve6902 View Post
    It also comes at $3499 and with out a motor. You can get a Hobie PA or even the new Titan for that price.
    Does that price include the motor? If not, there is absolutely no justification for the price.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

The marketplace is the great equalizer.

Obviously, the makers believe there is a demand.

Kayak anglers themselves will determine if these "hyper-yaks" succeed.
    Mark

Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

The Bote Rover is pretty cool. I'm too cheap to ever buy one of those things. Neat ideas there. It seems like a jacked up paddle board to me.