Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Icast 2017

Some of the new fishing kayaks seem to be crossing over from kayaks into something just short of a full-fledged boat.

They don't interest me but the innovations they are spawning are good for the hobby.

I just wish they would work on reducing hull weight as much as they are trying to increase propulsion options.
    Mark

Olive Hobie Revo 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Some of the new fishing kayaks seem to be crossing over from kayaks into something just short of a full-fledged boat.

They don't interest me but the innovations they are spawning are good for the hobby.

I just wish they would work on reducing hull weight as much as they are trying to increase propulsion options.
    A highly durable, lightweight, affordable hull would be the holy grail...the roto-moulded plastic hull has brought kayaks to the masses...durable, tough, economical...but heavy...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

The pictured new kayak photo is extremely similar to the Cabelas newish Advanced Angler. Pricing for the Feel Free Overdrive kit $1099 for pedal only and an additional
    $1399 for the motor add on. Difference from other systems is it can be both pedal or motor driven in one unit, the motor slides in to engage. It does tilt for shallow water.
    Sun Camo Feel Free Lure 13.5
    Lowrance Elite 7 ti w/Totalscan
    B & C Power Yachts transom mount
    Minn Kota 45 Riptide
    Gama Electronics RF340-80A-SC wireless controller
    Re-Lion 75Ah Lithium Iron Deep Cycle

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Even the current kayaks are monstrously heavy. In the early 90's I would throw my single man canoe over my shoulder with all my gear and hoof it down the trail. I was probably toting 55# with all my gear. I can't imagine that with any of the kayaks I have now.

I got some nice kayaks but I'm trying to get back to the light weight and minimal gear for ease of use. Its easier for me to use my boat then it is my hobie pro angler and many of the new kayaks are heading that direction,
    2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
    2014 Hobie ProAngler 12
    2015 Coosa HD

Default Icast 2017

So feelfree kayaks has some odd stuff going on. The cabelas kayak is almost identical to the torpedo. Oh and to top that off they just changed the name of the kayak last night to the dorado (available oct. 2018). Now this is where it gets kinda odd. There is a NEW kayak company called 3 waters kayaks. I tried to look them up but I couldn't find a sight for them...and you know what they sell? The same cabelas kayak that is the same hull and deck layout of the new feelfree. I don't know if they are trying to do a ocean kayak/old town kayak thing. If they are just selling molds to other kayak company's or what but it just seems a little off with little to no information. You can buy the same kayak with three different names by three different company's. Anyways here is a photo of the 3 waters kayaks new kayak

Now here is the cabelas kayak

*So an update the 3 waters kayaks was announced by feelfree as a new price point kayak brand. So think like what perception is to wilderness systems.
    Last edited by FishMoken; 07-12-2017 at 12:48 PM.
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

I think its similar to the automotive market, similar to how Subaru & Toyota teamed up and we (in the USA) got the Subaru BR-Z, and the Toyota FT-86. Basically the identical car, minus some trim/wheels/marketing.
    First Lady: Hobie Ivory Sand Dune Hobie ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Backup Babe (Girlfriends Ride): Carribean Blue Hobie Outback Lowrance Elite 5 HDI w/ Pumpkin Spice Latte holder

Learning the Ropes & Living the Dream

I wonder if the pedal/motor drive works for all 3 brands? Really hoping there will be some nice spinning reels at icast this year, would love to see some more "budget" offerings like the BG and all, with quality internals. Would also really like to see a sub $500 American made spinner that's at least modern, unlike the old (yet reliable) design of the penn 704/706z reels.

Quote Originally Posted by yakscientist View Post
    I wonder if the pedal/motor drive works for all 3 brands? Really hoping there will be some nice spinning reels at icast this year, would love to see some more "budget" offerings like the BG and all, with quality internals. Would also really like to see a sub $500 American made spinner that's at least modern, unlike the old (yet reliable) design of the penn 704/706z reels.
    Major brands will likely never produce quality working mans equipment again. They either want your money over time forcing you to buy replacements or they charge you heavy upfront for quality gear.
    Last edited by silasvirus82; 07-17-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Quote Originally Posted by silasvirus82 View Post
    Major brands will likely never produce quality working mans equipment again. They either want your money over time forcing you to by replacements or they charge you heavy upfront for quality gear.
    That's true...but reading alan hawk's newer reviews, like of the shimano spheros, the daiwa bg, the lethal 100, cabo 120, etc., he seems to think the "budget" to "entry price" reel segment is moving in the right direction. he says we are currently living in the "golden age of spinners" and from what I've read on his reviews, I tend to agree. But yeah, I may be asking too much for a USA made "entry price" reel, but a man can dream. It's a shame Penn/Shakespeare/etc were all bought out by pure fishing and their even larger parent company. At least Shimano, Okuma, and Daiwa are all still their own separate entities.

So bote won both best in show and new boat. Pretty neat design.
    Here is a link to there page for more info
    https://www.boteboard.com/rover/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140