4th of July Channel Cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th of July Channel Cats

I had heard Mt Vernon was putting on a daytime fireworks display at 1pm, so launched from Marshall Hall at 11am. It was a half hour past low tide with just a slight 5mph breeze.
    I setup shop 50 yards upstream from the Mt Vernon channel an about 60 feet west of the main river channel in about 4 feet of water.
    Using a 3/8oz white jig head and a white Paddle Tail. I threw it out towards the main channel.
    After several retrieves with no hits I switched it out for a Gulp swimming mullet.
    Bam!
    Big hit, big fight. I landed a 22" blue cat. Typical.
    Let her go and kept at it figuring it was going to be a blue cat day.
    But I was wrong.
    The next cast barely hit the water when line went taught and I hooked my 2nd fish. An 19", clean looking channel cat.
    The next cast sunk for only 2 seconds when it got hit. Another channel cat, this one a little bigger than the last.
    And that's how it went. Almost every cast came back with a cat. 15 in all... the biggest was 23".
    The fireworks went off about 1:30. Ate my sandwich and enjoyed the show.
    Afterwards the other boats left and apparently so did the fish. I tried for another 30 minutes before making my way back to the ramp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

I wanted to go out for some cats on the 4th from there, but figured there would be too much traffic, so I stayed home. I normally hit the same location, but on the MD side where it is about 12 to 15 feet deep....may have to check out the VA side next time....
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

Comment

Working...
    X