Rockfish, Rain, and Dawn...`

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockfish, Rain, and Dawn...`

I launched in the Mid-Severn at 05:00 today. Pouring rain. Got no bites till it stopped raining at around 08:30. I am thinking that Rock fish are sight feeders and need light to start to hunt. Is this true?????

So, I'm thinking that if it is raining at dawn, that a rock fishes 'dawn' is actually around 8:00ish.

What do you guys think????
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
    I launched in the Mid-Severn at 05:00 today. Pouring rain. Got no bites till it stopped raining at around 08:30. I am thinking that Rock fish are sight feeders and need light to start to hunt. Is this true?????

So, I'm thinking that if it is raining at dawn, that a rock fishes 'dawn' is actually around 8:00ish.

What do you guys think????
    It's relative, but I don't think much light is needed. The only thing I can speak with certainty about is my experience. With respect to light only, in my experience, rain, overcast sky night, etc., are the best times to fish. The darker the better.
    I'm sure others will be happy to further pontificate on the lack of your success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
    Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
    Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

I've caught them in the middle of the night. They generally feed more in relation to tidal movements
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I agree that stripers will feed at low light or even in the dark. Rain does not affect the fish -- just the comfort of the fisherman. My largest Severn striper (37") came on a grey drizzly day in April 2016.

Your lack of success in a Severn location may have more to do with the stripers not being there than on the amount of light. Better luck on your next outing.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Biggest striper I ever boated was right after midnight trolling a Alou cow killer eel on wire line at the CBBT in early December...tides have everything to do with success... and it was a bleak, cold, drizzling night...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

One of the rules of thumb of fishing, and not just for stripers, is to use dark lures on dark days when fishing in the upper portion of the water column.

That sounds counterintuitive until you realize that at dawn and dusk and also on cloudy days and on moonlit nights the sky is still brighter than the environment of the fish we are trying to catch. Consequently, the theory is that a darker colored lure presents a more definitive silhouette against the brighter sky than a lighter colored lure.

I often use darker colored lures in lowlight. Do I catch fish in lowlight because I use darker lures? Who knows? What I do know is that stripers and other fish species do indeed feed in lowlight. Some fish do not. I've read that neither snakeheads nor pickerels feed in lowlight.

I think sight is important on bright days too when colors are more distinct. We’ve each encountered days when a certain color of lure out-fishes another color. That clearly indicates sight is important.

The first attractant may be the vibrations and/or noise from a paddletail, crankbait, spinner or popper.

But sight has to be a factor if for no other reason than I have caught one-eyed stripers but I’ve never caught a blind one!
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Everyone: Great advice, thanks. A couple of questions:

-- What tide is best for strippers? I launched almost exactly at high tide. Is a moving tide better? Incoming or outgoing??

-- If I use darker lures for dark days, what type of lures would you all recommend? Should I keep them in a tandem rig?? I have always heard to use white or chartreuse Jig/swim baits. Does this change on dark days???

Thanks,
              Stan

Comment

Stan,

I think a moving tide is always better than a slack tide. My preference is falling because I like to cast and a falling tide gives me more water to work with as I cast to tight quarters and shorelines.

Flies: I use black or dark green poppers in low light or black over white or black over grey Clousers, and dark olive and black wooly buggers.

Lures: I use dark brown, dark green or black bucktail jig spinners and I'll find the darkest colored paddletails I carry -- perhaps reds, browns or dark golds. I have some black over gold crankbaits but I rarely use them.

I don't fish tandem rigs but if I did I'd try a dark lure and light lure to see if the fish prefer either.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
                  What tide is best for strippers?
                  Thanks,
                  Stan
                  Stan,

I prefer mine in very low light, walking out to loud vibrant music with minimal fog from a fog machine, wearing leopard print and clear 6" stiletto heels
                  Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                    Stan,

I prefer mine in very low light, walking out to loud vibrant music with minimal fog from a fog machine, wearing leopard print and clear 6" stiletto heels
                    Pole optional...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
                    Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
                    Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

Don't forget to include the wind in your results. The old saying "when the wind is East they bite the least" has been proven many times. Sure affected what should have been a good perch bite Wednesday. Lots of taps, but not many hookups.

Comment

Most of the best fishing is at night when the cows are lurking. The darker the better, new moon being the best. I usually leave the beach when the light comes up.
                        The best tide depends on your location. For me the bottom of the outgoing is the golden time when the baitfish are being pulled from their hiding places.
                        You can easily see the contours of the bottom by how the water is moving, thus exposing the lazy fat stripers feed stations.
                        Last edited by summersoff; 07-07-2017, 07:23 AM.
                        Jay

10' Green Slayer
                        13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Concerning 'Strippers': I'm a math major....So can't spell. I got a good laugh though.

Everyone: As always, great advice. Without you guys, I'd start to think that overcast days are the worst ones to fish....

So, I'll try out your suggestions of: Tide, Color of lures (use one light, one dark), Watch wind, etc.

You guys will make a decent fisherman out of me yet! Thanks so much.

I'll be going out next week, I'll tell you how it goes. I'm on a special assignment from work. I hope to start going twice a week after this thing ends.

Best Regards,
                          Stan

Comment

Working...
                          X