Snakehead in St Leonard Creek?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snakehead in St Leonard Creek?

I have been trying to find them. Fished from my kayak from St Leonard Shores marina to Parran Rd and route 4. Used green, yellow, black frogs, white and brown chatter baits. No luck. The water near rte 4 must be spring fed because it is 72 degrees. It seems like I am in the wrong area. Any help would be appreciated.

Find grass ...lots of grass matted all up and even better if you find grass with algae on it..

Capt Mike

Comment

Gotta be exteremely quiet too they can hear the slightest paddle splash or tackle box and will dissapear
      Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
      -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
      -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Thanks for the information. I like my kayak because I can be very quiet. I make a habit of moving slowly and listening between movements. The area I have been fishing lacks everything CAPT Mike described. I will search out other parts of the creek. In the mean time, I have a bass fishing friend who is taking me to Mattowoman to find them and to see what I should be looking for.

Comment

Snakehead dont need to be in that specific kind of cover all the time. I have found snakes in pockets along the bank in shade around some kind of cover, wether it be from a dock, laydown, or concrete wall. Grass mats, pickerel grass, spatter dock are also good cover to target as the Capt described. Just keep in mind there alot like bass when it comes to relating to cover.
          Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
          -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole

Comment

None in that creek yet
            Native Watercraft Pro Staff
            2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
            33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
            2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

D3,
              I think I agree with you. Went with my friend to Slavins and fished an incoming tide. No luck with snakeheads, but the cover is completely different than St. Leonard Creek. We heard some chasing bait. St. Leonard Creek has mud flats exposed at low tide and the cover sticks straight up. I have not heard anything that sounds like snakeheads crashing bait. I have not caught anything other than perch, fishing LMB tackle.

Comment

What your hearing is most likely gar and carp spawning in the shallow spatterdock. They do it often. It literally sounds like an alligator taking out a gazel
                Jason

Comment

Originally posted by chingadera View Post
                  D3,
                  I think I agree with you. Went with my friend to Slavins and fished an incoming tide. No luck with snakeheads, but the cover is completely different than St. Leonard Creek. We heard some chasing bait. St. Leonard Creek has mud flats exposed at low tide and the cover sticks straight up. I have not heard anything that sounds like snakeheads crashing bait. I have not caught anything other than perch, fishing LMB tackle.
                  i've caught them from 30 yards off the slavins launch. JA is correct, the big splashes were GAR (and some big ones at that) I was sad when I realized they were not active SH
                  Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Working...
                  X